Canada

Tennis-Hong Kong Open canceled due to COVID-19

The Hong Kong Open, scheduled to be held next month, was scrapped on Thursday for a second straight year because organizers decided they could not stage the event amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The women’s tournament was canceled last year due to pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong which also affected soccer fixtures and a golf tournament.

“Owing to public health and safety concerns related to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we are announcing today the cancellation of the 2020 Prudential Hong Kong Open,” organizers said in a statement, as reported by the South China Morning Post.

“The health and safety of players, spectators, guests, partners, tournament staff and volunteers, as well as the wider community, are our prime concerns.”

Hong Kong has recorded over 5,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 103 deaths, according to a Reuters tally.

Organizers said the cancellation was determined after consulting with tournament sponsors and the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA), with air travel restrictions also a factor.

“Rest assured that the tournament will be back bigger and better in 2021,” organizers added. (Reporting by Rohith Nair in Bengaluru, editing by Ed Osmond)

Football news:

Hames will miss the Premier League match with Southampton
Goetze scored two goals in his first two games for PSV
Real Madrid are paying the price for a stupid sale to Ronaldo. No one to score. Calderon on the club's problems
Ozil posted a GIF of himself at work in the office: Forward, Arsenal
The Slovenian youth team wants to expel the tyrant coach: he is Against warm-UPS, forbids sleeping on planes and celebrating goals
Ozil on the rapid match: I'll support Arsenal at the TV. I bet on a 4-1 win
Alexey Miranchuk: It's nice to be Back in the game. We continue to work 🤙 🏻