Restaurants are booking up fast for the first weekend after they are allowed to open as people get their tables reserved within hours of the Prime Minister's announcement.

Boris Johnson has now revealed the roadmap out of the third lockdown for England and within an hour of it being made, people were rushing to make a booking for Burton restaurants.

The first weekend after May 17, the date that has been given for restaurants reopening, is already looking busy in Burton.

Now restaurant bosses are preparing to open their doors once again, with all the necessary health and safety procedures in place.

Restaurants were forced to close at the beginning of November and have not been able to reopen since - which meant they missed out on the usually busy Christmas period and New Year's Eve.

However, they are now looking forward and keeping everything crossed to be open again on May 17.

James Weeks, owner of The Dial Bar and Restaurant, in Station Street, Burton, said: "It's really positive news as we can finally start planning the reopening.

"Within an hour of the announcement, we had more than 100 people book online for Saturday, May 22, which was really positive.

"It shows that people have a real desire to go out again.

"Let's just hope now that the country sticks to the rules so the businesses can open on these dates.

"It's just really positive news and there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

"I feel this is payback for everyone's patience as it has been frustrating for people."

Pascal Arnoux, owner of Pascal at The Old Vicarage, in Main Street, Branston, said: "We've finally got a date - it's not guaranteed and we understand that.

"Let's just hope people behave themselves and it's going to be all right.

"Since the announcement, the phone and emails have not stopped. By 8pm last night we had 50 emails from people making reservations for the first weekend we can open.

"I think people have had enough of cooking and planning their meals and it's great as I think we all need it.

"I think the approach of taking a step at a time is the right way as we've got to make sure that it's the last lockdown.

"Businesses cannot afford to keep stopping and starting so this is the right approach as long as everyone follows the rules.

"Everyone knows it's been tough for us, it's been tough for everyone but particularly tough for restaurants.

"We've been closed for the 10 out of 14 months.

"When the last lockdown came in, restaurants had already been closed since the beginning of November and we were the first to close when the first lockdown was introduced in March.

"The vaccine is the way forward and will help us to get back on our feet."

The Meynell Ingram Arms, in Hoar Cross, will be serving a limited food menu in their garden rooms and other outdoor areas.

Tables will be limited to groups of six individuals or two households.

A spokesman for the Hoar Cross boozer and eatery said: "We have all missed the social interaction, so we are likely to be very busy.

"We are urging our valued customers to please book a garden room ahead of your intended visiting date to avoid disappointment.

"We have covered seating areas which will be available on a non-booking, first-come-first-served basis, both drinking and dining.

"We are encouraging our visitors to please wrap up warm though - the British weather is never reliable.

"If the government roadmap is followed, we expect to be allowing indoor bookings from May 17.

"It doesn’t stop there - we look forward to announcing our outdoor live music and summer events."