A MAJOR car brand is scrapping two of its most famous models while planning to produce a new electric vehicle.
US motoring giant Dodge has revealed it will be discontinuing both the Charger and the Challenger.
The company is putting its focus now on a new EV.
Production of new Chargers and Challengers will end on December 31, the firm said.
The July 31 deadline has already passed for dealers wanting to order and buy any of the last remaining models.
Dodge first began manufacturing Chargers in 1966 - with the model featuring in TV series The Dukes of Hazzard - and Challengers from 1969.
Their priority now appears to be the Daytona SRT, the company's first EV.
Rather than eight cylinders it is powered by an 800-volt electrical system, which Dodge calls "Banshee".
Dodge's parent company Stellantis says the EV could offer up to 500 miles in driving range, Gear Patrol reports.
More than 265,000 battery-electric cars were registered in the UK last year, a 40 per cent increase on 2021.
But EVs have been dogged by complaints about their cost, usefulness and safety.
Car manufacturers Vauxhall published a study suggesting two thirds of council areas across Britain have no roadside chargers for EVs.
The worst-served blackspots were Cumbria, Somerset and Yorkshire.
EV owners have also found themselves forced to buy and install their own expensive home charging points.
Recently a mechanic with 55 years' experience gave three reasons EV prices were plummetting, while an owner outlined three for trading in a Mercedes 250 EQA and going back to diesel.
Another motoring guru told why he believes EVs "aren't the future", after putting the newest Porsche model to the test.
More car experts have shared tips on the five most common complaints from EV drivers plus how best to fix them.