Great Britain

Mum found daughter, 17, dead in bed from sepsis after GP suspected norovirus from steak & ale pie

A SHATTERED mum found her daughter dead in bed with sepsis after food poisoning she blamed on a steak and ale pie, an inquest heard.

Schoolgirl Tina Way, 17, blamed eating a meal at a holiday park when she became unwell and started vomiting.

Her GP believed she may be suffering from norovirus and Tina was prescribed anti-sickness and anti-reflux medication.

But the next evening she was found dead in bed by mum Tina Horne - who desperately tried to revive her to no avail.

Ms Horne said: “I went to her bedroom and saw her lying on her back on the bed and she looked like she was sleeping.

"When I touched her she was cold and I knew she was gone."

The inquest heard Ms Horne rang for an ambulance and called "dream daughter" Tina's father Christopher Way.

She said: "Chris, she's gone. She's gone."

The inquest heard both parents carried out CPR on Tina until paramedics arrived on July 20 last year.

Ms Horne said: "We have no idea what caused her death.

"We have to know what caused our dream daughter to be taken away so young."

The hearing was told Tina had been at a holiday park with a friend when she ate the steak and ale pie before falling ill.

We have no idea what caused her death. We have to know what caused our dream daughter to be taken away so young.

Mum Tina Horne

She text her sister: "Guess who's got food poisoning?"

The inquest in Pontypridd heard Tina had been drinking lots of water the week before her death and making frequent trips to the toilet.

In the year leading up to her death, she was also suffering from anaemia and had previously been given tablets to boost her iron.

A post mortem examination found that her kidneys were less than half the size of normal kidneys.

Pathologist Dr Meleri Morgan said she believed Tina had suffered multiple urinary tract infections that caused "long standing scarring" to her kidneys.

She had developed sepsis after E. Coli entered her bloodstream - a different strand of food poisoning.

Dr Morgan gave a medical cause of death as E. Coli septicemia with chronic kidney disease.

GP Dr John Wakeling said he was "racking his brains" over whether there had been any clues over her kidney problems.

He said: "I had no indication that Tina had any kidney problems."

Assistant coroner Rachel Knight recorded a conclusion of natural causes.

She said: "When Tina went to her GP she did not display signs typical of sepsis.

"There was nothing obvious that could be done differently that could have changed the outcome for Tina."