The spokespeople for Prince Harry and Prince William came together to issue a joint statement this morning. In it, the senior royals accused a national newspaper of publishing incorrect claims about the brothers.
The statement read: “Despite clear denials, a false story ran in a UK newspaper today speculating about the relationship between The Duke of Sussex and The Duke of Cambridge.
“For brothers who care so deeply about the issues surrounding mental health, the use of inflammatory language in this way is offensive and potentially harmful.”
Harry and William's statement is believed to be referring to claims the Duke of Cambridge has had a "bullying" attitude towards the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, made by an unnamed source who was said to know the Sussexes well.
Both ITV royal correspondent Christ Ship and Hello! magazine royal editor Emily Nash said on Twitter the statement was against claims of "bullying".
The source, whose claims have been branded a "false story" by the royal spokespeople, said: “From the start their response was not very clever, not very friendly.
“They of course would have a different version.
"Quite early on they decided, right, ‘We are going to tell these people their place and we are going to push them away.’
“If you are Meghan and Harry and you have had two years of constantly being told your place, constantly bullied as they would see it, constantly being told what you can’t do, Meghan has been thinking, ‘This is just nuts. Why would anyone put up with this?’”
“I don’t think they want to turn their back on the family and this country, and definitely not the Queen. I think that would genuinely break Harry’s heart.”
This source's claims, reported by The Times, was vehemently denied by other royal insiders, the publication added.
A source close to Meghan and Harry said the couple doesn't blame any member of the Royal Family for the current crisis.
They said: “For them, it is not a case of ‘William has done this to us,’ or ‘my father has done this to us’.”
Another source said: “William is certainly not trying to force them out. We are trying to find answers here.”
Prince Harry will meet Prince William, Prince Charles and the Queen today in Sandringham, where the senior royals will discuss possible solutions to the crisis created by a statement released last Wednesday by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
Meghan is said to be attending the meeting via phone, as she currently is in Canada, where she returned last Thursday.
The Queen has urged last week, following crisis talks with her direct heirs Charles and William, senior aides to speak to UK and Canadian government officials and find possible ways to carve out the new progressive role the Sussexes desire.
In their statement, Meghan and Harry announced their intention to step down as senior royals to become financially independent and pursue other projects.
However, the pair don't want to renounce to their titles, as they said they want to keep on representing the Queen and the Crown abroad during official engagements and tours.
The Sussexes added they want to live between the UK and North America.
They said: "This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity."