A young boy has tragically died after coming into contact with live overhead power lines on a railway line in Bishopbriggs near Glasgow.

British Transport Police were called to the tracks last Sunday after the horror accident near to Ashgill Road shortly before 6.30pm.

The 12-year-old boy was believed to be swinging a cable on a railway bridge when it came into contact with the power line below.

The youngster was rushed to hospital in a critical condition.

But despite the best efforts of medical staff, he sadly passed away last night.

Inspector Alasdair McWhirter from British Transport Police , said: “This is a truly tragic incident, and our thoughts and deepest condolences are with the boy’s family and friends.

The railway power lines below the bridge that the boy connected with
 

“We have specially trained officers supporting his family during this incredibly difficult time and I would ask that their privacy is please respected while they come to terms with their loss.

“We have no reason to believe there were any suspicious circumstances to this incident and we will be preparing a report for the Procurator Fiscal.”

The youngster was with his pal when the horror incident happened.

Last week we told how the mum of the other schoolboy said the tragedy was "an accident waiting to happen".

Her 11-year-old son felt the huge power surge which fatally struck his pal before he ran to get help.

The mother of the uninjured boy was at the scene within minutes of receiving a harrowing call from her son, saying he thought his friend was dead.

She said: “The two had just left and said they were going for a walk near the house while a puncture was being fixed on my son’s bike.

“They saw what they thought was a bit of rope on the grass. It was a cable. It’s a walkway and the wee boy had thrown it up over the wall and went to tug it back and that’s when it happened.

“The cable wasn’t very long. Whatever was behind the wall has made this cable live.

The boys were crossing the railway bridge when a cable one of the kids was swinging came into contact with power lines below
 

“My son said there was a big thud and the ground shook under him. He saw flames. He said the whole bridge shuddered.

“He dropped his phone and ran across to a neighbour. They had seen it so they ran out and put the boy in the recovery position and phoned an ambulance.”

The neighbour who ran to help has described seeing a “jet of flames” from her window as the boy was electrocuted.

Investigators told the uninjured boy’s mum they believe the cable could have been previously used as a swing.

The mum hopes others will be warned of the dangers and extra safety measures will be considered in the future.

She said: “I’m not blaming anybody. I just want it not to happen to another child.

“There are the usual signs on the wall but its a path you go on every day. It could have happened to anyone.

“The boys didn’t know it was a cable. It’s important that we educate kids on the dangers of cables lying about.

“The Transport Police said the cable only has to be three metres away from the lines for a surge of electricity.”

Read More

Top news stories today