The Turkish government has said that two terrorists carried out a bomb attack on Sunday in front of the interior ministry buildings in Ankara, adding that one of them died in the explosion and the other was “neutralised” by authorities.
The blast was the first in the Turkish capital since 2016 and took place less than a mile from Turkey’s parliament building, hours before lawmakers were due to return for the reopening of parliament after a three-month summer break.
Ali Yerlikaya, the interior minister, said on the social media platform X that two attackers approached the general security directorate building at about 9.30am local time in a commercial vehicle.
According to Yerlikaya, one detonated explosives, killing themselves in the process, while the second was killed by gunfire from security forces stationed outside the building.
Two police officers were slightly injured in the incident, he added.
Authorities closed a main thoroughfare to traffic, one that passes close to a number of state institutions including the parliament building.
Police also announced they would carry out controlled explosions for “suspicious package incidents” in other parts of the city.
According to the state-run Anadolu news agency, Turkey’s criminal court of peace in Ankara issued a ban on media access and publication of the attack.
Turkish authorities last year passed a sweeping new law intended to curb “disinformation”, with those accused of breaching the law threatened with up to three years in prison.