The two metre rule is staying in Wales for now when pubs, restaurants and cafes with outdoor space allowed to re-open outdoors from July 13.

And it will be up to businesses to ensure customers abide by that two metre rule, according to the Welsh Government.

Speaking at Thursday's coronavirus briefing, international relations minister Eluned Morgan said the science shows two metres is safer than one.

She could give no date for when pubs and restaurants might be allowed to open inside, although she said the Welsh Government was aware of the pressure businesses would be under when the furlough scheme starts to taper off from the start of August.

The full details of her announcement are here.

Asked if Wales had seen the scientific evidence on which England decided to relax the two metre rule there to one metre, and whether the Welsh Government would now consider following suit, Baroness Morgan said:”We are looking at the scientific evidence and the scientific evidence we have seen so far makes it absolutely clear that two metres is safer than one metre.

“And so, for the time being, that two metre rule will remain in place. But we understand that this is a sector, where perhaps, it will be difficult for people to maintain the two metre rule and that’s why what we are working with the sector at the moment is putting additional protection measures in place to support and guide those people working in the sector and to protect those people going to those facilities.

“The chances are we will continue with the two metre rule but there will be measures in place to make sure that if those measures are breached, and need to be breached, because you need to serve people at tables, we will put  measures in place, as far as possible, to eliminate any risks.”

Asked who who be responsible for people keeping to the two metre rule and who would be penalised, the venue or the customer, if not, Baroness Morgan said: “We are working with the sector to develop the guidelines.

“One of the suggestions is there will be a person responsible within each hospitality sector, industry and facility to be responsible for making sure they comply with the mitigation rules we are putting in place.

“That will be the responsibility of that person to make sure compliance is managed and contained according to the guidelines we will be setting out.”

Asked again if there would be penalties for breaches, for example in pubs, and who would be penalised, she said: “The owner of the pub will have responsibility for making sure compliance is adhered to.”

Baroness Morgan said talks are now being held with police and local authorities to ensure there are rules in place.

And she could give no date for when customers can hope to go back inside restaurants and pubs in Wales.

Quizzed on whether outdoor re openings are beneficial considering the unreliable UK weather, Baroness Morgan said the government understands this difficulty, but that it is safer to reopen outdoors rather than indoors.

“We are not apologising for the fact that we are taking this carefully and slowly,” she said.

“We are intensely aware of the pressure on the industry at the moment. We are also clear the science says to us it is much safer to open outdoors rather then indoors and that’s why we are taking this phased approach to make sure we can open safely outside. We have developed guidelines  with the sector to make sure that where we can we can put measures in place to protect customers and employees in these facilities.”

She said the Welsh Government wanted to see successful outdoor opening before considering moving on to indoor opening and was following guidance recommended by the World Health Organisation.

The Welsh Independent Restaurant Collective called on the Welsh Government to go further.

It said: "A date for reopening outside is welcome but its contribution to the retention of jobs and the survival of businesses is nevertheless very limited.

"Our research shows that less than 50% of independent pubs, cafes and restaurants will be able to take advantage of this opportunity and of those the majority expect to achieve less than 25% of their usual turnover.

"Many jobs have already been lost, the numbers involved are daunting. Whilst these losses may seem relatively small on an individual basis cumulatively they are enormous. As a collective of businesses we are extremely concerned that this collapse of our sector is not being treated with the seriousness it demands. A conservative estimate is that 10,000 jobs in the independent hospitality sector will be lost before the end of the summer."