Papua New Guinea
This article was added by the user . TheWorldNews is not responsible for the content of the platform.

Investigation into soldiers’ deaths completed

Skip to content
Post Courier

Post Courier

Papua New Guinea's 'trupla' leading Daily Newspaper Since 1969.The Post-Courier is proud of its record as the voice of PNG. We were there when the nation took its first bold steps towards independence. Since that time, we have fearlessly recorded the nation's progress.

BY MARJORIE FINKEO

The investigations into the killing of two soldiers and one injured during a military exercise at Kupiano in Central last month have been completed.

PNG Defence Force Commander, Major General Mark Goina said the investigations are completed and the results shown were aligned with failure of training processes which were not followed resulted in using of live ammunitions during mock exercise.

Three main suspects involved in the shooting using the live ammunitions will go through court trials under military discipline and code before being referred to police for charges under the criminal code act. Maj Gen Goina said at least 10 senior officers in the training unit at Goldie Depot were all suspended and are under investigations with the defence legal division.

“It was very difficult coping with the tragic incident to our officers which occurred on July 4, investigations reveal that all processes were not followed from the starting to the finishing which had resulted in the using of the live ammunitions which were not supposed to be used and those at the management level had been suspended for further investigations.

“All deceased repatriation costs will be made by the department not later than August 9th,”Maj Gen Goina said.

He said new changes have been made to Goldie training unit and everyone responsible will be investigated. He said it was first of its kind for such incident and a board of inquiry will be made later into the department’s exercises programs.