Papua New Guinea
This article was added by the user . TheWorldNews is not responsible for the content of the platform.

Leilam hold off Mungkas FC to a drawn match


Leilam FC are proving to be one of the strong contenders for this year’s Port Moresby Soccer Association premier men’s title after settling for a nil-all draw with a stronger Mungkas FC on Sunday.

The David Passam Mungkas FC coached side had to work overtime defensively to contain Leilam’s shots at goal in the opening minutes of play.

Led by the vocal defender, Roland Bala, skipper Richard Mongi, Elijah Potua and Sean Skoli and goalkeeper Adrian Redenut, Mungkas kept their opponents to a goalless halftime score.

“I think our lack of a training ground is taking its toil but this is not an excuse…our opposition (Leilam FC) came with a pressing game from start to the end. They nullify a lot of our ball movements,” says coach Manub.

Apart from the Leilam FC versus Mungkas FC match, the other premier matches that also finish on draw included Seeadler and Momase on 2-all, FC Genesis and Keleiruna on 1-all and University FC and Blue Kumuls (3-all).

The main game fixture (Leilam vs Mungkas) on Sunday afternoon resulted in a grandstand finish with both teams coming out strong with quality execution of play.

Unfortunately neither side could find the back of the net with both goal keepers (Adrian Redenut-Mungkas, Ora Gepi-Leilam) containing the shot at goal being fired at them.

Leilam managed to steam roll their way pass Mungkas defenders in the first opening minutes of play. With Fredrick Elimo leading upfront in attack, Francis Giau Jr, Russell Kauyet and Loyd Korres steering the midfield it was all in their (Leilam) favour to cause the upset with possible goal scoring opportunities.

However, Mungkas had the likes of Roland Bala as well as Moses Arisib, Michael Saun and Eaka Philemon who stood composed in every counter attack to see the halftime score at nil-all.

The second stanza flipped over a new chapter with substitutes being made which lifted the general game tempo.

Conceded penalties went both ways with match referee Hillary Ani also on hand to cautioned players for rowdy contact.

Both teams kept on going back and forth but still could not find any opportunity to score.

Mungkas coach David Passam said defensively they managed to keep intact their main defenders which will be crucial when going up against other top premier opponents.

“It is not yet comfortable for us…we’re still at the top but not by much and we will still be expecting teams to press hard going forward so we need to come up with a plan on how to go around.

“Our backline has been one of our area that we haven’t change so much and that is why we are more composed with the players having played together for almost four matches together now,” said Passam.

Leilam FC assistant coach Ray Bauelua said the playing group performed to what their head coach always tells them.

“We watched our opponent for quite some matches now so we just had to play a more pressure game, stick to our game plan and we will work more on our goal shooting practice,” he said.