The cause of death of a man found dead in political donor Ed Buck’s Los Angeles home was revealed to be an overdose, a report said Monday.
Timothy Dean died of a methamphetamine overdose at Buck’s house in January — the second man to die of an overdose in his house in the past two years, the Daily Beast reported, citing an LAPD police detective.
“Toxicology results are back and the cause of death is an overdose,” Det. Quilmes Rodriguez told the news site in an email.
“We’ve conducted several additional interviews with other witnesses and are pending the final two interviews.”
Buck, a longtime political donor and former candidate for the West Hollywood City Council, was home at the time Dean died, his lawyer told the LA Times after the death.
The attorney added that he believed Dean had taken drugs before coming into the house.
“From what I know, it was an old friend who died of an accidental overdose, and unfortunately, we believe that the substance was ingested at some place other than the apartment,” Buck’s attorney, Seymour Amster, told the newspaper.
In July 2017, a 26-year-old man who worked as a prostitute died of a methamphetamine overdose in Buck’s apartment..
In the statement to the Daily Beast, Det. Rodriguez said the LAPD will now present the case to the District Attorney’s office.
“We hope to finish our reports in the near future then will present the case to the [District Attorney’s] office for their consideration,” he said. “We just bring forth the facts, and they decide whether to file charges or not.”