South Africa

Three young women shot in head in Khayelitsha

Cape Town – Three young females – including a teenager – were shot in the head execution-style in Khayelitsha on Monday evening.

Residents at the TT Block informal settlement recalled hearing gunshots after 8pm, , Western Cape police spokesperson Brigadier Novela Potelwa said in a statement on Tuesday.

’’A few minutes later the bodies of young women, aged 17, 20 and 21, were discovered in a passage between the shacks. The victims had all been shot in their heads,’’ said Potelwa.

The motive for the shooting incident is yet to be determined. Western Cape police have instituted a 72-hour activation plan for the mobilisation of resources in search of the suspects/s.

Anyone with information about the incident that could assist the police investigations is urged to contact police on 08600 10111 or via MySAPS App. Information received will be handled in strict confidence.

The Khayelitsha community has been rocked by gender-based violence and femicide over the past few months.

Recently, a memorial service was held for Nomandla Mthathi, 34, who was stabbed to death, allegedly by a friend of her boyfriend.

In August, a woman's body, who had been set alight, was found near the Khayelitsha stadium.

In the same month, a Khayelitsha woman who stood for nomination as an ANC candidate for the City of Cape Town, Phumeza Nomzazi, was shot dead.

In June, a 79-year-old woman was raped, killed and torched inside her home.

Khayelitsha Development Forum chairperson Ndithini Tyhido told the Weekend Argus he was tired of being in a position where he had to condemn the shootings happening in the area.

“I am really tired now, unless we as the community rise up and defend our community. We have let our guard down and allowed criminals to be our equals,” Tyhido said.

Meanwhile, a 35-year-old man taken in for questioning in connection with the murder of Lamees Dilman, 21, whose body was found on an open field in Atlantis, has been released. Circumstantial evidence could not link the man to Thursday’s murder.

IOL

Football news:

Lewandowski wants to move to Real Madrid. He will ask Bayern for a transfer (As)
Sarri about the calendar: Football is no longer a sport, but a show from which they are trying to squeeze as much money as possible
Calvert-Lewin is Arsenal's main target for the summer. Lacazette and Nketiah will leave for free
Tuchel about Newcastle: A new contender for the title. The Premier League is the most difficult league in the world, and it is getting more and more difficult
The director of Barca about Dembele and Roberto: They want to stay, but the club has to adjust salaries. This complicates the negotiations
Benzema on the Golden Ball: I have done a lot in the last 3-4 years and I continue to play at a high level
Dani Alves offered Barca his services. The 38-year-old is ready to join the club from January 1