logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo
star Bookmark: Tag Tag Tag Tag Tag
Australia

Teen who said he was bashed by African gang made false report, police say

A Tarneit teenager who said he was bashed by up to eight members of an 'African gang' following a footy match is expected to be charged with making a false report to police.

Jayden D'Abaco, 19, told police he was chased and beaten by a group described as being African in appearance as he walked alone to the Mynt Lounge nightclub in Werribee, at about 10.30pm on August 24.

Autistic teen Jayden D'Abaco's injuries after he said he was attacked on August 24.

Autistic teen Jayden D'Abaco's injuries after he said he was attacked on August 24.

The teenager, who has autism, was said to be celebrating an unlikely victory by the Wyndham Suns reserves when he was attacked, leaving him with bruising and cuts to his face.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said after a "thorough investigation" into the assault claim, police confirmed that "no offences have been detected".

"A 19-year-old man is expected to be charged on summons with submitting a false report," the spokeswoman said.

"Victoria Police has provided appropriate support and referrals to parties involved."

The 19-year-old said the August incident was the second time he had been bashed by a group of youths of African appearance, after a highly publicised attack in April 2017.

CCTV footage from the 2017 incident on a Tarneit bus showed a group of youths demanding Jayden's runners and mobile phone. The teenager was set upon when he refused to hand the items over.

Frank D'Abaco, the father of an autistic teen who said he was bashed unconscious by up to eight men, protests on the steps of Parliament over what the family perceive as government inaction on "gangs" in Melbourne's suburbs.

Frank D'Abaco, the father of an autistic teen who said he was bashed unconscious by up to eight men, protests on the steps of Parliament over what the family perceive as government inaction on "gangs" in Melbourne's suburbs.Credit:Simon Schluter

The autistic teenager's father, Frank, staged a silent protest on the steps of Parliament House on August 28 this year, criticising what he perceived as the state government's lack of action on the issue.

At the time, Jayden's mother Tess said the family was still angry about the resolution of the 2017 attack, telling The Age the offenders got "a slap on the wrist and they're back out again".

"Family violence, they've cracked down on that now, why is it so different for these gangs? When they throw a punch, it's like they're holding a gun. They know they can kill someone," Ms D'Abaco said.

All rights and copyright belongs to author:
Themes
ICO