A British citizen who accused Canadian-born screenwriter and director Paul Haggis of raping her in Italy told Italian police after joining Haggis in a tourist destination in the south. He said he had been sexually assaulted twice by Haggis over several days. Of Ostuni, where Haggis was the protagonist of the festival.
"Women have had two unconsensual sexual acts. She hasn't been raped for days," some media reported. Rita Sverdi Gliozzi, who leads a unit of Brindisi state police investigating alleged crimes.
"She came to Ostuni hoping to admire him and work with him."
Haggis with sexual assault He was arrested on Sunday for serious physical harm. He is currently under house arrest in Ostuni, Italy.
Sverdigliozzi confirmed that a 29-year-old woman and a 69-year-old Haggis met in the spring.
Italian media reported details from a leaked memo written by Haggis for his lawyer, where he says the two met at the Monaco International Film Festival. He allegedly contacted her via social media after the woman took a selfie with Haggis.
She told police that she left a love note "for a reason" in the bed and breakfast room they shared for several days.
According to a statement by the prosecutor, Haggis dropped the woman at the airport in Brindisi, Italy, the closest city to Ostuni, in the heel-shaped area of Puglia. On the morning of June 15, there, airline workers found her wandering in , which the prosecutor described as her "unstable mental and physical condition." , Was warned by the police.
After reporting allegations of assault to police, police said the woman stayed in a shelter for victims of sexual abuse in Puglia and left on Wednesday.
Authorities have also stated that it may take weeks for the trial to begin.
Women recounting allegations of assault on judges
Women will appear next week in front of judges in Brindisi to recount allegations of assault.
Prior to the preliminary hearing, investigators are still collecting evidence when the judge decides whether to continue the trial, , and release Haggis from house arrest. — , if so. Under what conditions.
Judge Burma Gili, who oversees the preliminary investigation, ruled on Wednesday to continue her house arrest, which is only allowed to meet her family and his lawyer.
Haggis is currently staying at a high-end farmhouse in the suburbs of Ostuni, and she moves after the arrival of adult children who were to lead the master class at the Arora Film Festival, which began this week. I did.
The judge made her decision based on the version of the event told by the victim. The judge said, "We cannot control [Haggis]'s instinct and can never escape from the tendency of prejudice and domination." The Italian media reported.
The judge also cited pending civil proceedings, including a rape accusation against Haggis in New York, as helping inform her of her decision. .. Four women in the United Statesaccused Haggis of sexual assault — claim he denied.
Oscar-winning screenwriter, director ofCrash, co-authoredCasino RoyaleandQuantum of Solace. Appeared before the last minute. On Wednesday, in Brindisi, Italy, with the help of a translator, he informed the judge of his version of the event.
Haggis Italian lawyer Michele Laforgia said his client was innocent and the sexual relationship between Haggis and the woman had reached an agreement.
"We also revealed that there were no signs of injury or violence claimed by the prosecution," Laforgia told reporters after the hearing.