This article was added by the user . TheWorldNews is not responsible for the content of the platform.

The woman awarded $ 431,000 for police action occupying Wall Street

Article author:

The Associated Press

Associated Press

Larry Neumeister

New York City (AP) — A Manhattan woman sued the City of New York City and its police station on Friday from a federal jury for $ 400,000. I was awarded the above. She suffered a traumatic brain injury when she was thrown to the ground by police soldiers while serving as a medicine for protesters at the 2012 Wall Street Occupation event.

Mary Tardiff, 33, won the $ 431,250 award about 10 years after the proceedings were filed in 2013. She spread worldwide and was known for her copy: "We are 99 percent."

In an interview, Tardif described her verdict as "very much." I have proved to. "

She "feels like I've actually learned justice for the first time," said Tardiff, a Broadway advocacy coalition who is a sign language interpreter for Broadway shows and a disability advisor. ..

She said she had been suffering from epilepsy since the age of 19 and considered a ruling that a "battery" had occurred but no assault. To spend the day in court.

"It feels like a victory for all of us. I wish I could share it with them. A black man who was with Tardiff throughout the trial but was hidden from the jury." When celebrating at a restaurant near the court with her Labrador retriever, service dog Daisy, she talked about others injured at the rally ..

New York Nick Paolucci, a spokesman for the City Legal Affairs Department, said the city of New York was "disappointed with this result" and was considering options.

He said the 2018 jury had dismissed the claim before Manhattan's Second US Circuit Court of Appeals reinstated the case because of a flaw in the first hearing.

Paolucci said Tardiff "was never thrown to the ground, as she claimed." Moreover, unfortunately, the jury was unaware that plaintiffs had caused new injuries in this second trial that were never claimed in the first case.

In the opening statement, city lawyer Michael Viviano said police sergeant, who was promoted to lieutenant on March 21, 2012, grabbed Tardif's arm and police cleared the Union Square park. He said he had taken her away because he was there. She had her hand on the back of a police officer.

"Then the plaintiff falls to the ground. The plaintiff was not thrown," he said.

Reza Rezvani, a lawyer who claims on behalf of Tardiff, told her jury in her opening statement that her sergeant grabbed her with her hands.

"He throws her to the ground. Her head hits the pavement," he said.

Tardif had her epilepsy in a 2013 lawsuit after being violently abused by a police officer who arrested her in several protests while she was taking medicine. Claimed that the condition was often ignored. Her proceedings stated that they kicked her, walked her limbs, and threw her to the ground.

According to trial evidence and Tardiff's statement, a violent encounter at Union Square hit her head on the ground, causing her permanent brain damage and working outside of her job. I can no longer do it. She has a flexible time zone and she may call due to illness when she is completely immobile.