PARIS — At least two people were stabbed on Friday near the former offices of the Charlie Hebdo satirical magazine in Paris that was attacked by Islamist militants over five years ago, in an incident anti-terrorism police were investigating.
Paris police said one person had been arrested. France Info radio said a second suspect was also in custody.
Prime Minister Jean Castex had earlier said four people had been stabbed, but a police source later told Reuters the number of people wounded was two, one of them seriously.
“I was in my office. I heard screams in the road. I looked out of the window and saw a woman who was lying on the floor and had taken a whack in the face from what was possibly a machete,” a witness told Europe 1 radio.
“I saw a second neighbor on the floor and I went to help.”
Paris police said one person had been arrested near the Bastille opera house. Europe 1 quoted police officials as saying the suspect was 18 and known to security services.
One police source said a machete had been found at the scene. Another police sources said a meat cleaver had been found there.
The national anti-terrorism prosecutor’s office said it was investigating the case.
TRIAL UNDER WAY
Fourteen people went on trial in Paris on Sept. 2, accused of being accomplices in the attack on the Charlie Hebdo offices in January 2015 that killed 12 people.