Metro Vancouver fires 3 people following deadly North Vancouver dam error

The Metro Vancouver Regional District has fired three people in the wake of a maintenance error earlier this month that left one man dead and another missing.

The accident happened on Oct. 1, while the district was doing scheduled drum gate maintenance on the Cleveland Dam.

Read more: Human error cited in Cleveland Dam incident that left one dead, one still missing

During that process, a large volume of water was let through the dam’s spillway with no warning, flooding the Capilano River canyon and sending anglers running for their lives.

The body of Ryan Nickerson was recovered in the aftermath of the flash flood, but the body of his 27-year-old son, Hugh, has not yet been recovered.

A subsequent preliminary investigation by Metro Vancouver determined human error was responsible for the water being let through.

Trending Stories

Story continues below advertisement

The district said it was fully cooperating with investigations from external agencies and would not comment further.

Read more: Watchdog identified concerns in 2002 at North Vancouver dam at centre of river tragedy

Earlier this month, Metro Vancouver acknowledged that there was no “public facing” alarm on the dam to let people know about any unplanned release of water.

It said it is looking into creating a public warning system and improving downstream monitoring. The district has also committed to a review of practices and procedures.

Football news:

Instagram instagram post: Cavani can be banned for 3 matches for saying Negrito
Roy Keane: Tottenham's Players are not good enough to take the title
Maradona's Doctor: There was no medical error. I did everything I could
Milan will discuss the future of Braim Diaz with Real Madrid in the coming months
Goodbye, Dad Buba Diop. Thanks to you, I lived the most memorable tournament of my childhood
Nuno about 2:1 with Arsenal: We played amazing, very proud. Jimenez recovered
Arsenal scored 13 points in 10 opening matches - the worst result in 39 years