Canada

Quebec coroner launching public inquest into fatal 2017 Montreal police intervention

The Quebec coroner’s office is launching a public inquest into the 2017 death of a Montreal-area man who was killed during a police intervention.

Koray Kevin Celik, 28, was in crisis when police were called to his home shortly after 2 a.m. on March 6, 2017.

Man dies after physical intervention with police in Île-Bizard

Celik’s parents, who witnessed their son’s death, said they called 911 to get police to stop their son, who was intoxicated at the time of the incident, from driving a car.

Trending Stories

Story continues below advertisement

Quebec’s independent police watchdog said in 2018 that four Montreal police officers tried to subdue Celik inside the residence, including with the use of a baton.

Read more: Man dies after physical intervention with police in Île-Bizard

Celik’s father, Cesur, previously said he witnessed the officers repeatedly beat his son with their feet and knees.

Quebec coroner Karine Spenard will lead the public inquest into the death.

The coroner’s office did not immediately say when the inquest would begin.

Football news:

Hans-Dieter flick: I Hope Alaba will sign a contract with Bayern. Our club is one of the best in the world
Diego Maradona: Messi gave Barca everything, brought them to the top. He was not treated the way he deserved
Federico Chiesa: I hope to leave my mark in Juve. We will achieve great results
The Coach Of Benfica: I don't want us to look like the current Barcelona, it has nothing
Guardiola on returning to Barca: I'm happy at Manchester City. I hope to stay here
Fabinho will not play with West ham due to injury
Ronald Koeman: Maradona was the best in his time. Now the best Messi