logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo
star Bookmark: Tag Tag Tag Tag Tag
Canada

While you were sleeping: Man caught smuggling cocaine under his toupee

Here’s what happened while Def Leppard rocked the Bell Centre

Montreal’s arson squad arrested a 36-year-old suspect in connection with a fire at a Dairy Queen in the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve borough. On July 8, a fire started around 1:20 a.m. in a large green garbage bin behind the restaurant on Ste-Catherine St. By the time firefighters arrived, the fire had reached the top of the building. There were no injuries. The suspect is expected to appear in court Thursday.

A man was found guilty of stabbing a tourist Louis Bourque on Mount Royal two summers ago. Quebec Court Judge Manlio Del Negro found Jean Therrien, 49, guilty of aggravated assault for the stabbing. He had been acquitted of an earlier attempted murder charge after the Crown decided not to pursue it. “This is a complete injustice and I claim my innocence, 100 per cent,” Therrien exclaimed from the accused’s dock after being convicted. “This is a farce!” Therrien, a homeless man who admitted he usually spent his nights on Mount Royal, had represented himself throughout the trial and insisted police had arrested the wrong man. Lab analysis of his knives, flashlights, hair and clothes found no DNA or scientific evidence linking Therrien to Bourque. During their search of Mount Royal, police had briefly arrested three other people based on the description given by Bourque and his son. In his judgment on Wednesday, Del Negro admitted the identification evidence in the case relied on “a fleeting glance, under difficult circumstances, of a previously unknown person.” But, Del Negro added, there was other evidence that led him to believe Therrien was behind the attack.

A Colombian man was detained at Barcelona’s international airport after half a kilo of cocaine was found hidden under an over-sized toupee, Spanish police said. Arriving on a flight from Bogota, the man attracted police attention as he looked nervous and had a disproportionately large hairpiece under his hat. They found a package stuck to his head with about 30,000 euros ($34,000) of cocaine. “There is no limit to the inventiveness of drug traffickers trying to mock controls,” said the police statement. The statement enclosed a photo of a middle-aged man – apparently still wearing the toupee though with his eyes blocked in the image – but gave no more details of his identity. Over 100 kilos of cocaine were seized by Spanish police at the Barcelona-El Prat airport in 2018.

With files from Reuters.

All rights and copyright belongs to author:
Themes
ICO