A father-of-four heroically saved his children from a faulty and electrified water fountain, but did not survive the electrocution himself.
Nate Davenport, 45, was with his three youngest kids at the Harbourside Place shopping center where they played in a splash pad.
Suddenly, his children started screaming, ‘We’re getting shocked, we’re getting shocked’, his mother Mary Davenport told WPBF.
Nate ‘rushed in to save them’, his wife said. He pulled two of his sons out of the fountain and got shocked, along with others who tried to help with the rescue.
He and his three kids and another adult were rushed to a nearby trauma center.
Nate did not regain consciousness, and was pronounced dead at the hospital on Sunday.
‘He took a hit for his kids,’ Mary said. ‘We had 45 years with him. God blessed us with him. He’s an amazing man.’
The oldest son hurt in the ordeal was expected to be released from the hospital and the two other brothers were being monitored for elevated enzyme levels, she said.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more stories like this, check our news page.