Great Britain
This article was added by the user . TheWorldNews is not responsible for the content of the platform.

Kilmarnock 2 St Johnstone 1: Danny Armstrong double sinks Saints at Rugby Park

Danny Armstrong was in dazzling form and tormented St Johnstone at Rugby Park on Wednesday evening.

The Kilmarnock attacker netted a double - the first a peach of a free-kick - to earn his side three points.

Not just his goals, Armstrong’s all-round display caught the eye on a night where the Ayrshire men were certainly worthy of victory.

Saints forward Theo Bair did bag a wonderful goal in stoppage time but it wasn't enough to rescue anything from the fixture.

The lovely pre-match news for Perth fans was that David Wotherspoon, for the first time in 10 months and having recovered from a serious knee injury, was in the matchday squad.

He would watch from the bench as team-mates Nicky Clark and Ali Crawford had terrific early chances from inside the box, both of which were saved by goalkeeper Zach Hemming.

In the 11th minute, however, Kilmarnock were gifted a free-kick in a promising position courtesy of a James Brown foul.

The Ayrshire hosts would take the lead when Armstrong crafted a wonderful free-kick from distance over the wall and into the back of the net.

Saints looked to hit back and, in the 25th minute, Brown picked up a long Drey Wright diagonal switch, drifted inside and found Crawford on the edge of the box.

He wasted little time in going for glory but again Hemming pulled off the save, this time touching over for a corner kick. From that corner, Clark’s header from a promising position was deflected wide.

The Perth side were seeing enough of the ball but Killie had a great chance to double their advantage as the break approached.

A Jordan Jones delivery from the left flank drifted beyond the foot of Melker Hallberg and into the path of former Saint Blair Alston. Luckily, he failed to make the required contact.

Still very much in the game, manager Callum Davidson would be eying a quick start to the second half. It was the complete opposite.

Under pressure from the second the whistle restarted play, Killie doubled their advantage in the 46th minute when Armstrong reacted quickest to nod in after an initial effort had come back off the bar.

Tony Gallacher returned to first team duties in the 57th minute, replacing Alex Mitchell, while Jamie Murphy was on for Stevie May.

Armstrong almost had his hat-trick moments later following a lovely run and strike but the ball drifted inches wide of the far post.

The 216 Saints fans were craving more goalmouth action but it wasn’t forthcoming. Home goalkeeper Hemming’s gloves remained untested.

Further changes arrived in search of inspiration. Wright and Crawford exited and on came Theo Bair and Max Kucheriavyi. With 10 minutes remaining, Michael O’Halloran was next to enter the action. Ryan McGowan went off.

Substitute Bair, out of nothing, fired in a wonderful strike in the 90th minute but it was too little too late for Saints.