South Africa

Daily Mail owner sues Google over ‘monopoly’ on online ads

Washington  —  The Daily Mail, owner of the MailOnline newspaper, sued Google on Tuesday, alleging that the search and advertising giant's power over selling online ad space means newspapers see little of the revenue their content produces.

The federal lawsuit against Google and its parent, Alphabet, alleges that Google controls the tools used to sell ad inventory as well as the space on publishers’ pages where ads can be placed and the exchange that decides where ads will be placed.

“The lack of competition for publishers’ inventory depresses prices and reduces the amount and quality of news available to readers, but Google ends up ahead because it controls a growing share of the ad space that remains,” the lawsuit said.

The lawsuit, which was filed in US District Court in New York by the British-based company, also said that Google “punished” publishers who “do not submit to its practices”.

Google called the lawsuit's claims “meritless” and “inaccurate”.

“The use of our ad tech tools has no bearing on how a publisher's website ranks in Google Search,” Google said in a statement that said publishers had many options to sell ad space. “The Daily Mail itself authorises dozens of ad tech companies to sell and manage their ad space, including Amazon, Verizon and more.”

Google faces similar allegations in a lawsuit filed by Texas and a group of other states in December. That lawsuit is one of a series filed against Google and Facebook late last year.

A bipartisan group of US legislators led by senator Amy Klobuchar and David Cicilline introduced legislation in March aimed at making it easier for news organisations to negotiate collectively with platforms such as Google and Facebook in hopes of boosting revenues.

The plaintiffs in the lawsuit are Associated Newspapers and Mail Media, which publish MailOnline.

Reuters 

Football news:

Neymar has extended his contract with PSG until 2025
Zidane on Hazard laughing after Chelsea: Eden apologized, he didn't mean to offend anyone. This is in the past
Juventus refused to sell de Ligt to Chelsea and Barca. The offers came about 10 days ago
Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juve sent letters to 7 Super League clubs and threaten them with legal consequences for withdrawing from the tournament
Julen Lopetegui: Zidane is the perfect coach for Real Madrid. His work speaks for itself
Hazard will be hard to convince to leave Real Madrid. He receives 15 million euros, his contract is valid for another 3 years
Neymar will receive 30 million euros a year under a new contract with PSG