A devastated Alex de Minaur says he will seek daily treatment on an abdominal injury in the hope of playing in next week's Australian Open.
Australia's top-ranked male has withdrawn from the Adelaide International, which was to have been his final preparation for the Open.
De Minaur stopped short of declaring himself a certain starter in Melbourne. "At the moment we're going to take it day by day," he said.
"It's something that is not ideal. And at this stage we are just looking at short-term goals and trying to get better each day [with] a lot of treatment. I have seen the physios, I have seen the doctors, and I will be continuing to do that for the whole of the week and hopefully I will be ready to play in Melbourne."
The flare-up of the injury comes after de Minaur played five matches over nine days at the ATP Cup, including a doubles encounter.
The 20-year-old, the top seed at the Adelaide International after last week's withdrawal of world No.2 Novak Djokovic, said he was "devastated" to pull out of the tournament. "Obviously, I am not in the happiest mood," de Minaur said.
"But it's something that happens ... I have just got to do whatever I can to make sure my body recovers. And right now my sole focus in on making sure I recover for my next one [tournament]."
At the ATP Cup, de Minaur won two singles matches and pushed world No.1 Rafael Nadal to three sets in Australia's semi-final loss to Spain on Saturday night.
"I have often been told that I don't have the weapons to beat these higher-level guys," he said.
"But I think I have sort of showed that I have got another part of my game that I can go to. Just overall, mentally, physically, it's just a constant work in progress and I'm going to keep on improving ..."
Despite his strong showing at the ATP Cup, de Minaur will suffer a rankings drop before the Australian Open. He is now No.21 in the world, down three spots, because he failed to defend all the points accrued from his 2019 Sydney International win.