Canada

Gaza to begin rebuilding homes destroyed in May conflict

GAZA — The reconstruction of homes in Gaza that were destroyed or damaged in the May conflict between Israel and Hamas will begin in the first week of October using aid from Qatar, a senior Palestinian housing official said on Sunday.

Gaza’s Hamas-run government says Israeli air strikes destroyed about 2,200 homes in the enclave during the 11-day conflict and damaged 37,000 others. Some homes in Israel were damaged by rockets launched by Islamist organization Hamas and other Gaza militant groups.

About 1,800 destroyed or damaged homes will be rebuilt in the first phase of work, according to Naji Sarhan, Gaza’s deputy minister for housing and public works.

He said that Israel had lifted some restrictions on steel and cement entering the territory in recent days. Last week, Egypt began repairing Gaza’s main coastal road, part of a broader plan to revamp Gaza infrastructure.

Palestinian officials say 250 people, including 66 children, were killed by Israeli air strikes on Gaza. Israeli officials says 13 people, including two children, were killed in Israel by militant rockets.

Following a May 21 ceasefire, mediated by Egypt, access to reconstruction funds and materials has been a key Hamas demand . Israel limits construction materials entering the territory, saying Hamas uses them to build weapons to wage attacks.

But following an agreement with the United Nations and Qatar, Israel allowed about $20 million in aid from the Gulf state to enter Gaza this month. That disbursement will be followed by $50 million of Qatari funds earmarked for rebuilding homes, Sarhan said.

Gaza officials estimate it will take $479 million to rebuild homes and infrastructure damaged in the May fighting. Qatar and Egypt have each pledged $500 million for Gaza reconstruction.

(Writing by Nidal Almughrabi; Editing by Pravin Char)

Football news:

President of Bavaria on Kimmich: We support vaccination, but it is optional. This is everyone's choice
Ex-referee Gallagher on the yellow Ronaldo kicking the ball at Jones' groin: The right decision. Cristiano was saved from removal by the fact that the ball was there
Luca Hernandez avoided jail because of the case of the attack on his wife. He was given a probation period of 4 years and a fine of 96 thousand euros
Fati has knee pains. He will not play with Rayo Vallecano
Social networks are a cesspool for people from the bottom. If you also demand dismissal in the store, you will be reported to the police. Phil Neville on Manchester United and Solskjaer
Shahin was the best player of Klopp's champion Borussia, but he killed his career by leaving for Real Madrid. At 33, he is already coaching in Turkey
Manchester United players believe they are being unfairly criticized because of tactics. The backbone is ready for a change of coach