Family members of the six victims — Mamadou Tanou Barry, Ibrahima Barry, Khaled Belkacemi, Abdelkrim Hassane, Azzeddine Soufiane and Aboubaker Thabti — as well as some survivors were present for the unveiling today.
“This tragedy left a permanent scar on the hearts of thousands of residents,” Labeaume said. “To demonstrate that we remember, that we still think about the victims today, we are proud to pay homage with the magnificent commemorative monument.”
The president of the mosque gave an emotional address with a message for the children of the six victims.
“For the kids present today, the children of our lost friends, you have felt that everyone loves you,” Boufeldja Benabdallah said.
“When you cross people on the street, they embrace you. You are like their children, everyone loves you and everyone wants you to become the great citizens of tomorrow, to honour this city and to honour your parents’ memory.”
The Quebec City man convicted of six counts of first-degree murder in the killings was sentenced to life in prison in February 2019. Following a successful appeal decision last week, he is eligible to apply for parole after serving 25 years in prison.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 1, 2020.