Canada

Race organizer remains hopeful Canadian Grand Prix can be salvaged

’’I am proud to see how such wonderful initiatives and technical advancements stemming from Formula 1 are being applied in a time of crisis,” said Dumontier. “At the moment it is crucial that all of our energies be put together to overcome COVID-19. We will welcome you with open arms at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve as soon as it is safe to do so.’’

While Chase Carey, the CEO of Formula 1, said he hopes to put on a “great show” for Montreal fans later this year, the possibility of salvaging the Formula 1 seems remote. The next race on the schedule is the French Grand Prix, scheduled for June 26-28, and it’s only a matter of time before that race is scrapped. France ranks sixth in the world in the number of coronavirus cases. Next up after France is the Austrian GP on July 1.

F1 has cancelled its normal summer break in hopes of rescheduling some races and Chase said it was possible that the season would extend beyond November.

The Montreal race has a large impact on the Montreal economy because it attracts free-spending racing fans from all the over the world.

The local organizers said any tickets purchased for this year’s race remain valid and spectators will be informed of the available options when a new date is set. That’s the case for tickets purchased through the GPCanada’s website and through other channels.

phickey@postmedia.com

twitter.com/zababes1

Note to readers: We know the speed and volume of coronavirus-related news is overwhelming and a little frightening. To help with that, we are synthesizing the most important coronavirus-related news, especially as it relates to life in Montreal and Quebec, in real time. Follow our live updates from April 7 here. All our coronavirus-related news can always be found here: montrealgazette.com/tag/coronavirus

Sign up for our new email newsletter dedicated to local coronavirus coverage here: http://montrealgazette.com/coronavirusnews

The Canadian Grand Prix, a world-class sporting event as well as a major generator of revenue for the hospitality industry in Montreal, has been postponed. The Formula One race had been scheduled for June 12-14 on Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve.

Octane Racing Group, the race organizer, announced the postponement Tuesday. The news broke as Mayor Valérie Plante announced that all cultural entertainment and sporting events in Montreal are cancelled until July 2.

François Dumontier, the president and CEO of Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada, had hoped that the Montreal race wold kick-start a Formula One season that has been ravaged by the coronavirus pandemic. It is the ninth race on the schedule to be cancelled or postponed. The Australian and Monte Carlo races have been cancelled, while races in Bahrain, Vietnam, China, the Netherlands, Spain and Azerbaijan have all been postponed.

The possibility of keeping to the original schedule effectively disappeared last week when Premier François Legault extended the ban on non-essential work until May 4. That prevented work needed to prepare the race site.

Football news:

Witzel on Sancho: He is one of the best players of his generation
Favre about Mike Sancho: I didn't see Anything – I can't judge. I don't know why he did it
The championship will resume on June 20
PSV does not plan to buy out Rodriguez. The defender will return to Milan
Bergomi on Icardi's transfer to PSG: Parisians don't have the prestige of Inter
Alan Shearer: I Want Mbappe to play in the Premier League. I see only one club for him – Newcastle
Sancho on a t shirt that says justice for George: We should not be afraid to speak out for what is right