Canada
This article was added by the user . TheWorldNews is not responsible for the content of the platform.

Sudanese opponents wary of military pledges leave civilians to negotiate

Article author:

Reuters

KHARTOUM — Sudan Last year Political parties on the sidelines in the October coup responded cautiously to the military's pledge on Tuesday to move private groups away from the dialogue initiative to hold talks to form a government.

The Army (FFC) coalition for military freedom and change, as the speech by military leader Abdel Fatta Alberhan on Monday was requested by civilian opposition, which military He said he did not explain whether to withdraw from politics.

Barhan's decision is "a clear maneuver and tactical retreat that seems to embrace the principle of troops returning to the barracks and empty this principle of content," the FFC statement said. rice field.

Last year's military takeover was agreed between military and private groups following the 2019 overthrow of long-time dictatorial leader Omar al-Bashir. The power sharing agreement has been terminated.

It caused a large street protest against the military for more than eight months, and most civilian groups refused to negotiate with the military.

At a recent rally on Thursday, medical personnel said nine people had been killed by security forces and protesters have been sitting in the capital Khartoum ever since.

On Monday, Barhan said the troops would not participate in internationally supported dialogue efforts to break the stalemate, but would leave a private group to negotiate to form a government. Told.

He said the existing ruling council, including some civilians, would be dissolved and a higher military council would be formed, led by Barhan.

Pre-coup FFC leader and senior minister Khalid Omar Eusif said Barhan's speech maintained military authority over the political process. Said that it was an attempt to absorb the pressure of the people.

"Yesterday's speech did not address the essence of the crisis, a military coup last October," he told Reuters.

"We reject Barhan's speech," said Bashir Suleiman, a 33-year-old protester in a sit-in in central Khartoum. "Our demand is entirely civilian." (Written by Aidan Lewis, edited by Alex Richardson)