ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Afghan indicted in Afghanistan The suspect in the shooting of two Muslim men and the murder of two other refugees was released without bail pending trial after prosecutors said Wednesday they were a danger to his own family and the wider community. ordered to be detained.
Prosecutors in custody have dismissed Muhammad Said's previous actions, including allegations of domestic violence and a case of him ignoring a red light and refusing to stop by law enforcement. noted the record. Although charges in these cases were eventually dropped, they argued that Saeed's history showed a pattern of violence.
I cannot follow the law," said Assistant District Attorney John Duran. "The defendant has no regard for the law whatsoever. He seems to have no regard for human life."
His defense attorneys argued that he had no criminal record as no previous cases were pursued. They also tried to claim that he was in no danger of escape and that at the same address he had lived for two years.
Judge Joseph Montano denied that Saeed's lawyers ordered the defendant to be placed under house arrest, stating that the condition of his release was that he should not leave home or commit a crime.
The judge also pointed to criminal complaints accusing Said of ambushing victims, as well as ballistic evidence investigators had collected so far.
"The weight of the evidence here is great," said Montano.
Syed was arrested on August 8, where he was more than 100 miles (160 kilometers) from his home in Albuquerque. He told officials he was en route to Texas, citing an ambush-type killing as a concern.
Police said they received more than 200 cases, one of which led him to his Syed family from the Muslim community. Said knew the victim, officials said.
Syed was charged with the murders of Aftab Hussein and Muhammad Afzaal Hussain. Hussein, 41, was killed on the night of July 26 after parking his car at his usual spot near his home. His 27-year-old city planner Afzar Hussain, who was involved in campaigning for a New Mexico House of Representatives, was shot dead on Aug. 1 during a night walk.
Syed, the prime suspect in the death of Naeem Hussein, 25, who was shot dead in a refugee and resettlement agency parking lot in southeastern Albuquerque on August 5, has not been charged. Is not ... Muhammad Zahir Ahmadi is a 62-year-old Afghan migrant who was fatally shot in the head behind the market he owned in the city last November.
According to a criminal complaint filed by the Albuquerque Police Department, investigators found that the bullet casings found in Muhammad Said's car matched the caliber of the weapon believed to have been used in the two killings. determined that a bullet casing was found at the crime scene. It was related to guns found in Sayid's house and his car.
Federal officials pointed to cell phone records in court filings that one of Saeed's sons, Naeem, said his father had died before Hussein was murdered. accused of possibly helping track down. Shaheen Saeed's attorney said those charges were thin, and prosecutors dismissed claims that young Saeed provided a false address when purchasing a gun from a local store in 2021.
At noon the newsroom will deliver the latest headlines, articles, opinions and photos from the Toronto Sun directly to your mailbox.
Thank you for registering.
Welcome sending his email. If you don't see it, please check your spam folder.
The next issue of Your Midday Sun will arrive in your mailbox shortly.