Prince Andrew – who wants his daughter to have a bash as big as Harry and Meghan’s – had been trying to strike a deal with the network to screen the ceremony.
But BBC executives fear it would be a ratings flop.
ITV is now understood to be considering stepping in.
A source said the royals think the Beeb has “dropped the ball” because the October 12 event will be “huge”.
REUTERS/DAMIR SAGOLJ(Pic: REUTERS/DAMIR SAGOLJ)
“BBC right (for once) to reject coverage”Source
But last night viewers backed the BBC.
One wrote: “Who is interested or cares about the wedding of this nobody couple?
“BBC right (for once) to reject coverage.”
Another asked: “Why would people watch this bunch of wasters spend the taxpayers’ hard earned cash?”
REUTERS/JONATHAN BRADY(Pic: REUTERS/JONATHAN BRADY)
A third said: “It is absurd for Andrew to expect people to watch, or even care about, his daughter’s wedding. Nobody gives a damn.”
Yet another messaged: “Andrew needs to let it go and accept that no-one’s bothered.”
Eugenie, 28, and her boyfriend of eight years Jack Brooksbank, 32, announced their engagement in January.
The ceremony is at the same venue as Harry and Meghan – St George’s Chapel at Windsor – and they have invited a string of celebrities such as the Beckhams, George Clooney and his wife Amal, and pop star Robbie Williams.
The security bill is set to top £2million because the couple want to make it so spectacular. Like the BBC, Sky plans to run no more than snippets.
A source said: “The feeling at the Palace is that the BBC has dropped the ball.
“At the end of the day this is going to be a huge Royal Wedding with all the senior members of the Royal Family in attendance.
“But nobody wants to take the risk and spend the money it would cost to put it on air.