A teenager who stabbed a dad to the back of the head while he was out celebrating his 30th birthday in Bury has been jailed.

The boy, 17, who can't be named for legal reasons, was sentenced to six years in a young offenders institute during a hearing at Minshull Street Crown Court.

His victim was left needing 25 stitches and 40 staples and suffered a broken cheekbone after the unprovoked attack.

Police said he was attacked with a 'bladed weapon' on Bolton Street in the town centre at about midnight on Friday, October 12 last year.

Earlier the victim's friend had become involved in a row with another man.

A picture of the man's injuries released to the M.E.N. after he was attacked

The teenager then approached the victim at a taxi rank before attacking him, causing the man to fall face first.

The victim's wife spoke to the M.E.N. at the time to appeal for help in tracking down his attacker, who put his jacket over his head as he fled to try and avoid being caught.

She said: "They were horrendous lacerations. The policeman at the scene said they are the worst head injuries he had ever seen from someone who has not died in 16 years of his career. He is lucky he did not fracture his skull.

 

"He has been recovering at home, but not been able to work because the swelling was so bad he couldn't see.

"For some unknown person to attack someone from behind - it is madness, it is really shocking.

"There are a lot of fights that go on in Bury, but this was an unprovoked attack that has left him disfigured.

The boy, 17, who can't be named for legal reasons, was sentenced to six years in a young offenders institute during a hearing at Minshull Street Crown Court

"He is the last person this would happen to. He is the nicest gentleman and a kind person.

"We have got a young daughter, we don't go out in Bury.

"For something so violent to happen for absolutely no reason. The guy ran up from behind and stabbed him in the back of the head.

"People need to know that is the kind of person that is out there."

The teenager replied 'no comment' to all questions when he was interviewed by police.

Detective Constable Dave Looby, of GMP’s Bury district, said: "This was a senseless and violent attack on a man who had been enjoying his weekend with his friends and thankfully today we have been able to bring the person responsible to justice.

Or to like his Facebook page and keep up to date with the latest breaking news and stories from court, click here.

Here's the link to the M.E.N's main Facebook page where we share our latest stories.

 

"The victim has been recovering well from his ordeal and hopefully today’s sentence helps to provide him with some closure.

"Information received by members of the public following this incident hugely assisted with our enquiries and I would like to thank those who came forward with information.

"Violent attacks have absolutely no place on our streets and we are committed to tackling those who carry out these atrocious crimes."