Former Of Mice & Men frontman Austin Carlile has shared a lengthy post denying sexual assault allegations made against him.
In an open letter published last week, a former fan of Carlile, who performed with the metal band between 2009 and 2016, alleged that the singer had abused his fame in order to assault female fans and seek out girls for sex.
In the letter, the fan accused culture publication Alternative Press of pulling the story after Carlile “threatened you with a lawsuit and you backed down”, with the magazine clarifying: “For legal purposes regarding the Austin Carlile accusations, the story couldn’t run as it was told.”
Download the new Independent Premium app
Sharing the full story, not just the headlines
On Thursday (18 June), Carlile, responded to the allegations in a post shared on his Instagram.
“In my younger years, I absolutely was not the best person, but I have never physically abused, preyed upon, forced myself upon, or drugged any woman. These accusations are false and defamatory,” he wrote.
“I am not a perfect person... I did things and acted in ways that I am not proud of, but never have I violated anyone. These ‘accusations’ being thrown around on social media, in our current ‘cancel culture’ climate, are extremely heinous and completely without merit.”
Carlile continued: “My wife is a molestation and rape survivor, and I have personally seen the deep, long-standing pain that she battles with every day. I have spent years surrendering my flesh over to God, allowing Him to constantly improve who I am as a man, husband, and father.
He said that the accusations “have been investigated” and “were determined to be unfounded”.
“All women deserve to feel safe, supported, and heard, but these unjust attacks upon my family and accusations against me, are decades-old claims that are unfounded,” he added.
Last week, the current members of Of Mice & Men released a statement distancing themselves from Carlile, writing: “Yesterday we heard for the first time of an alleged article that was written, and apparently subsequently shelved, regarding a former member of our band.
“This individual has not been a member of Of Mice & Men for almost four years and neither the band, nor the team around us, has had any part in suppressing any such article. We absolutely condemn sexual violence and harassment in any form.”
For support for sexual violence, visit Rape Crisis in England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.