logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo
star Bookmark: Tag Tag Tag Tag Tag
Great Britain

Bride ‘left unable to walk after getting food poisoning’ on honeymoon at 5-star Egypt resort

A BRIDE was left unable to walk crippled with arthritis after getting food poisoning during her honeymoon at a five-star resort in Egypt, it has been claimed.

Cristina Calafateanu says she and her husband Liviu suffered from severe stomach cramps and diarrhoea only three days into their week-long stay.

When she came back to the UK she was diagnosed with the bacterial infection shigella, which was before she was told it triggered a form of arthritis, The Mirror reports.

Six months later the 24-year-old said the pain left her unable to get around without support.

She told The Mirror: “I was stunned – no one should be faced with falling ill during their honeymoon.

“Now we’ll only remember it because of these problems.”

The couple wed last May and checked in to the five-star all-inclusive Baron Palace Sahi Hasheesh in July.

They had booked through Thomas Cook.

Cristina, of Maidstone, Kent, said that her husband did start to feel better, but her stomach pain was so bad she had to go straight to an A&E when she returned to the UK.

She was diagnosed with infectious gastroenteritis by doctors at Maidstone Hospital.

It was later confirmed through tests that the cause was shigella, which is often passed on through poor food hygiene.

As soon as Cristina started to recover she developed horrific joint pains.

She said: “I was in absolute agony and could barely walk. When the doctors said my illness had caused arthritis I was in a state of disbelief.”

Cristina, who works in quality control, has been unable to return to work.

She said she felt like a burden on her new husband because she couldn’t stand or walk.

Her mother had to fly from Romania to England to take care of her.

The couple claims they only ate at the resort and have asked law firm Irwin Mitchell’s to take their case.

Jatinder Paul, acting for the couple, said: “We’re very concerned. This is a truly shocking and upsetting incident.

“What was meant to be a holiday of a lifetime became a nightmare. We are determined to help them gain answers.”

Thomas Cook, which operates the hotel along with other tour firms, said told The Mirror: “We’ve not received this claim yet but we’ll look into it with the hotel to make sure they are maintaining the high standards our customers expect.”

The Sun Online approached Thomas Cook for comment.

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.

All rights and copyright belongs to author:
Themes
ICO