Christophe Berra insists he’s fit and raring to go when football returns - whether that is with Hearts or not.
The Jambos veteran spent the second half of the season on loan at Dundee after dropping out the reckoning at Tynecastle following the arrival of Daniel Stendel in December.
Berra admitted in January he was “hurt and angry” at being told he could leave the club he has served for nine years over two spells.
Stendel’s future remains as uncertain as the division Hearts will find themselves in next season after Monday’s Premiership conclusion relegated them to the Championship.
Jambos supremo Ann Budge still hopes to force through a last gasp league reconstruction to save her side - while also doubling down on a legal threat if that proposal is voted down.
Berra admits the revamp could be Hearts’ “last chance saloon”.
But the 35-year-old, who still has a year left on his contract in Gorgie, is desperate to get back playing no matter what level.
“I went on loan to Dundee in January when the manager came in and didn’t fancy me,” he told talkSPORT.
“I had a good record and we did well there. I have always been fit and never really had an injury.
“I’m desperate to get back to playing football and, in this kind of period with the pandemic, health is first as is family. But the other side is that it shows just how much I miss football.
“I’m 35 but people say this rest might do me good as well. Come back re-energised and ready to go again.
“I don’t know what level but I have many years left in me to play.”
Berra admits he was braced for Hearts’ relegation after weeks of it being played out in public following last month’s resolution vote.
But he reckons they had ample time to play themselves to safety.
Get all the latest Sports news sent straight to your Inbox every day by signing up to our newsletter.
We cover every morsel of information regarding your favourite club in the form of articles, videos and podcasts.
The newsletter will arrive every day at 12pm, giving you a round up of the best stories we've covered that in the last 24 hours.
To sign up, simply enter your email address into the link here.
That’s why he reckons reconstruction is the fairest option for Scottish football. Even if he doesn’t have much faith in Budge’s plan being passed.
He said: “Like most clubs we have a group chat and when the news got released the boys were obviously very disappointed.
“It’s unprecedented times for everyone. We were four points behind second bottom with eight games to go - there’s a lot of points that were still to be played for.
“Don’t get me wrong we deserve to be where we are at the bottom of the league just now because we’ve not been good enough.
“But in history there’s been plenty of teams that have been in that position before and managed to get out of it
“Ann Budge is putting something together - hopefully that can get voted through to a 14 or 16 team league.
“That will be our last chance saloon to reconstruct Scottish football. People say don’t do things in a rush but it might be the best opportunity we have to reconstruct Scottish football.
“It’s been talked about for many years and, as I said, this could be our last chance.
“But from a personal view I think it will be very difficult because there’s an 11-1 voting structure and to be honest that’s going to be remarkable if it gets passed.”