The editor of medical journal The Lancet has said the UK government’s responses to the coronavirus outbreak was implemented “far too late” and “failed” NHS workers.
Richard Horton wrote on Saturday that the NHS has been left “wholly unprepared for the surge of severely and critically ill patients” to come, but this could have been prevented had the UK taken more extensive action in February.
He said the government’s initial Contain-Delay-Mitigate-Research strategy “failed” because ministers did not follow the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) advice to “test, test, test” all suspected cases.
Download the new Independent Premium app
Sharing the full story, not just the headlines
“They didn’t isolate and quarantine. They didn’t contact trace. These basic principles of public health and infectious disease control were ignored, for reasons that remain opaque,” Mr Horton wrote.
Joseph Wu and his colleagues wrote then: “On the present trajectory, 2019-nCoV could be about to become a global epidemic… for health protection within China and internationally… preparedness plans should be readied for deployment at short notice, including securing supply chains of pharmaceuticals, personal protective equipment, hospital supplies and the necessary human resources to deal with the consequences of a global outbreak of this magnitude.”
Mr Horton said the warning should have been heeded by the Chief Medical Officer, the Chief Executive Officer of the NHS in England and the Chief Scientific Advisor, and action should have been taken immediately to “put the NHS and British public on high alert”.
But because they had not, the NHS has been plunged into “chaos and panic”, he continued, with patients and NHS staff to “die unnecessarily”.
In turn, the government’s subsequent response to Suppress-Shield-Treat-Palliate arrived too late in the course of the outbreak, he said, leaving the NHS vulnerable to collapsing under the surge of patients.
He also called for England’s Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Jenny Harries, to apologise to health workers for saying the UK has “a perfectly adequate supply of PPE” and supply pressures had been “completely resolved” on 20 March.
“I am sure Dr Harries believed what she said,” wrote Mr Horton. “But she was wrong and she should apologise to the thousands of health workers who still have no access to WHO-standard PPE.
“I receive examples daily of doctors having to assess patients with respiratory symptoms but who do so without the necessary PPE to complete their jobs safely.”
One hundred and eighty-one people died from Covid-19 in the UK on Friday, the biggest daily jump yet. The death toll now stands at 759.
Tests for frontline NHS workers are to be trialled over this weekend, before being rolled out to more people in the workforce in effort to get people who are clear of the virus back to work.