A fire broke out at a popular city centre student accommodation building sparked by a reported faulty microwave.
Last night at Plato House on Greek Street in the city centre a fire broke out in a fourth story kitchen.
Fire crews were alerted at 10.04pm and arrived on the scene at 10.07pm.
A fourth story resident told us: “The fire alarm came on at like 10pm.
“I thought it might have been a practice. Then I thought it’s ten o’clock at night, maybe not.
“I went outside my room and there was a fire on my floor.”
The student accommodation building was immediately evacuated.
The 21-year-old student was left scared after noticing there were four fire trucks outside.
He said: “I was a bit scared, I thought with the amount of fire trucks here that maybe it was a lot worse than it was.
“They were really good, they got here really fast.
“I think after forty minutes it had been contained.”
It has been confirmed that nobody was hurt at the scene and the fire is believed to be a result of a microwave malfunction.
A spokesperson for Merseyside Fire & Rescue service said: "Firefighters were called to a block of flats on Greek Street, Liverpool City Centre, on Tuesday 21st January.
Looking for the latest news where you live?
Our free new website In Your Area has news and other information like jobs, funeral notices, traffic and travel, houses for sale and more - based around your postcode
We also have an In Your Area app that's free to download to your phone too.
"Crews were alerted at 10.04pm and on scene at 10.07pm. Four fire engines attended as well as the aerial appliance.
"On arrival crews found a fire in the kitchen of a flat on the fourth floor.
"Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a CO2 extinguisher to tackle the fire.
"It is believed the fire started accidentally.
"Crews left the scene at 11.18pm."
The Liverpool ECHO has contacted Plato House for a comment.