Liverpool Council has given more details about how it may start to reopen schools in the city - after it rejected the government's order to admit pupils from June 1.
Liverpool and Mayor Joe Anderson's stance that it is too soon to open schools at the start of the month in a way that guarantees safety from the threat of coronavirus has been followed by many other councils across the country.
In a letter to parents last week, the council's director for children and young people's services Steve Reddy said only the children of key workers were likely to be back at school on Monday, June 1, the target date the government set for some schools to reopen.
Liverpool Council has a safeguarding responsibility for a large proportion of the primary schools in the city.
However, some questions have been asked about what may happen if individual schools decide that they do want to start admitting pupils again from June 1.
Liberal Democrat city councillor Malcolm Kelly wrote to Mr Reddy to ask if teachers could be left in a potentially difficult situation if some headteachers do decide to open up their schools.
Responding, Mr Reddy said: "As you will have seen we have a Liverpool position that essentially means schools close for half term and then we expect primary schools to work on detailed risks assessments and plans in order to expand provision safely for year 6 children.
"Initially, we anticipate this will take some time and can’t say a specific date for all schools.
"Ultimately though it is a matter for individual schools and governing bodies if they want to adopt a different approach.
"What I would advise any staff who are concerned about the timescale for opening is to speak to their union and also ask to see evidence of comprehensive risk assessments and plans that should have been carried out and developed ahead of a school expanding its provision beyond key worker and vulnerable children."
Mr Reddy has previously said he does not expect schools in Liverpool to open until mid-June at the latest.
Mayor Anderson today reiterated his message to schools.
He said: "My message to schools is that they will need to have a completed risk assessment or we will not support them reopening.
"We will only support the schools to reopen when we are satisfied that it is safe to do so."
He added: "My position remains the same on this, it is Liverpool City Council that has a safeguarding responsibility for these children."
Councils like Wirral, Hartlepool, Rochdale, Stockport and Bury have all said they will ignore the government's orders to reopen schools on June 1.