A survivor of the Manchester Arena atrocity wants British troops to snatch the suicide bomber’s brother from Libya so he can finally face justice, saying: “It’s been two years – let’s go in and get him now.”
Robby Potter, 49, was feet away from Salman Abedi when the 22-year-old detonated his device two years ago today, killing 22 and injuring 800.
Abedi’s brother Hashem is suspected of involvement and was held in Libya. But political unrest there stalled extradition talks – and until a criminal probe on him is completed, inquests on the arena deaths are on hold.
Robby said: “It’s been two years, we know where the brother is. Let’s go in and get him now. We have tried to be nice. We have the best armed forces in the world, go and get him.”
The dad of two, from Prenton, Wirral, was in a coma three weeks after a bolt from the bomb pierced his heart.
Medics also took 4lb of shrapnel from his body.
In Manchester tomorrow, a private memorial service for relatives of victims and survivors will be held at St Ann’s Church at 2pm. And at 10.31pm – the time of the blast – bells will ring across the city.
City council leader Sir Richard Leese said: “Those killed and their loved ones, as well as all those injured, have a place in our hearts not just on May 22 but every day.”
It is believed Hashem, 22, is being held in the Mitiga jail in Tripoli. Earlier this year Steve Howe, 63, who lost wife Alison, 45, accused authorities of “time-wasting”.
And this week, he said he was happy for Hashem to stay caged in Libya, adding: “It’ll cost millions to keep him in jail, the case will cost millions and how’s he going to suffer in our jails?”
Greater Manchester Police said: “The legal process in Libya remains ongoing.
“The conflict in the country presented increased risks and challenges.”