Martin Lewis has explained how you could be owed a tax refund if you've lost your job.

The Money Saving Expert appeared on This Morning today and had a question from a viewer on how to check if you're entitled to a tax rebate following a redundancy.

Shireen got in touch with the programme to ask Martin if she is entitled to a tax refund after losing her job back in October 2020 due to the pandemic.

She has yet to find another job and asked him if she could get some money back as she is still unemployed - reports Hull Live.

Martin said: "So, when you get paid and let's say you earn £20,000 a year, you're allowed to earn £12,500 tax free each year.

"So, when your employer pays you each month it assumes you're going to earn the same amount each month over the year and so it takes roughly off the 20% or whatever the amount is that you should be paying tax on each month.

It's never been more important to stay in touch with the news, so subscribe now to the Liverpool Echo newsletter. Twice a day, seven days a week, we'll deliver the biggest stories straight to your inbox.

We'll also send special breaking news emails too for the latest stories that matter. You won't miss a thing.

How do I sign up?

It's free, easy and takes no time at all.

  1. First just click on this link to our newsletter sign-up centre.
  2. Once you're there, put your email address where it says at the top, then click on the Echo Daily News button. There are other newsletters available too if you want them as well.
  3. When you've made your choice, press the Save Changes button.

"It assumed that you would earn £20,000 for instance and it took the tax off as if you did.

"Now, if you didn't earn any more half way through the year then it's likely you paid too much income tax because your earnings over the year were lower than it was assumed that they would be - and so too much tax was taken.

Enter your postcode below to claim a free scratchcard

"If that's the case, and as long as you're sure that you're not going to earn any more this tax year, which closes on April 5, then I would get in touch with the tax office now and ask how to get a rebate because you've paid too much tax."

You can claim a tax refund and find all the information you may need by heading to the website.

*This Morning airs weekdays at 10am on ITV.