Prince Harry expressed his disappointment with the Megxit deal he managed to broker with the other senior members of the royal family.

Speaking at the Ivy Chelsea Club in London at an event for his charity Sentebale this evening, The Duke of Sussex was candid when speaking about his impending departure from the frontline royal family.

The day after the details of the split arrangements were made public, Harry expressed his regrets at how things had unfolded.

"The decision that I have made for my wife and I to step back, is not one I made lightly," he said.

"It was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges. And I know I haven’t always gotten it right, but as far as this goes, there really was no other option.

Harry made the speech at the Ivy this evening
Harry made the speech at the Ivy this evening

"What I want to make clear is we’re not walking away, and we certainly aren’t walking away from you.

"Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the commonwealth, and my military associations, but without public funding.

"Unfortunately, that wasn’t possible. I’ve accepted this, knowing that it doesn’t change who I am or how committed I am.

"But I hope that helps you understand what it had to come to, that I would step my family back from all I have ever known, to take a step forward into what I hope can be a more peaceful life."

The Duke expressed some sadness at the deal he'd struck
The Duke expressed some sadness at the deal he'd struck

It was announced last night that the couple had struck a deal with the royal family which will see them keep their HRH titles, but not use them.

They will also keep Frogmore Cottage , but will pay back Sovereign Grant money used to upgrade the property.

Harry and Meghan will spend more of their time in North America and will not carry out duties from the Spring.

The Duke of Sussex spoke of his regrets at the Megxit deal he's struck with the royal family
The Duke of Sussex spoke of his regrets at the Megxit deal he's struck with the royal family

Prince Charles will continue to pay the couple money from the Duchy of Cornwall, although it is not clear how much they will receive.

The Prince and his wife will be free to seek employment, but have pledged to uphold the values of the Queen in any commercial ventures.

A particular sore point for Harry is his loss of his official military appointments.

They include Captain General of Marines, Honorary Air Commandant Royal Air Force Honington, and Commodore-in-Chief of Small Ships and Diving.

Harry's grandmother, the Queen, issued an emotional statement on Saturday, saying she recognised the "challenges" the couple had faced over the past year.

Harry and Meghan on their wedding day in May 2018
Harry and Meghan on their wedding day in May 2018

Unusually, she used the first names of her grandson and his family in a public message.

The Queen said: "Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family.

"Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family."

She added: "I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life.

Harry and Meghan with their son Archie
Harry and Meghan with their son Archie

"I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family.

"It is my whole family's hope that today's agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life."

In statement issued previously on behalf of the couple by Buckingham Palace, they said that under the agreement they understood they were "required" to step back from royal duties.

Read More

Meghan and Harry 'step back' from royal life

Earning money from lucrative contracts and still remaining active members of the monarchy would have been problematic and has caused issues for royals who have tried to straddle the two positions in the past.

The deal was dubbed a hard "Megxit" by the media and a source told PA news agency "you can't be half in and half out".

Meghan and Harry have already begun a transition phase of living in Canada and the UK.