A violent thug who tried to murder a soldier in a terrifying ordeal as he held him hostage in a flat was today jailed for seven years.

Dylan Rigby threatened to rape and kill Cobhan McLelland after he arrived at the property and found him in a bedroom with his sister.

Rigby, 20, poured boiling water on his teenage victim and put scissors to his mouth, threatening to cut off his tongue during the outpouring of violence.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard that Rigby acted like it was a game and was joking and laughing at times during the nightmare attack.

The injuries sustained by Cobhan Mclelland
The injuries sustained by Cobhan Mclelland

Did you know you can keep up to date with the latest news by signing up to our daily newsletter?

We send a morning and lunchtime newsletter covering the latest headlines every day.

We also send coronavirus updates at 5pm on weekdays, and a round up of the week's must-read stories on Sunday afternoons.

Signing up is simple, easy and free.

You can pop your email address into the sign up box above, hit Subscribe and we'll do the rest.

Alternatively, you can sign up and check out the rest of our newsletters here.

The two hour long ordeal finally ended after armed police forced entry to a flat in Kidlaw Close, in Edinburgh, on March 21 this year and brought him under control at gunpoint.

A judge told Rigby: "You pled guilty to a prolonged and exceptionally violent attack on another young man."

Lady Carmichael said: "The offending on this indictment is so serious there is no alternative to a custodial sentence. Your record of offending demonstrates escalating violence."

The injuries sustained by Cobhan Mclelland
Cobhan Mclelland, 18, has been left 'scared to close his eyes' after the horrific ordeal

The judge told Rigby, who was 19 when he carried out the murder bid, that she had to take into account his age and immaturity in sentencing him.

She said: "It is clear that in the interests of your own rehabilitation and the protection of the public you will have to do a great deal of work."

She ordered that Rigby should be kept under supervision for a further three years following his sentence of detention.

Rigby earlier admitted attempting to murder Mr McLellan after abducting him and detaining him against his will at the house.

During the murder bid he grabbed his victim and threw him to the ground,

repeatedly stamped and kicked on his his head and struck him on the head with a bottle, a chair and pots and pans.

He also repeatedly hit him a knife and scissors and poured vodka over the wounds suffered by his victim during the attack which left him badly hurt and permanently scarred.

The prosecutor said that Rigby's sister Rebecca stayed at the flat where the murder bid occurred and at the time she had recently started seeing Mr McLelland, who was a serving soldier based at Dreghorn barracks.

She said: "He was unknown to her brother until this incident."

The sister briefly attended a party before returning to the flat and Mr McLelland arrived in the early hours of the morning after drinking with friends.

Rigby also turned up at the flat after being at a party and burst into the bedroom where his sister and Mr McLelland were.

The prosecutor said he looked Mr McLelland straight in the eye and asked:

"Who are you?". She said they initially shook hands, but Rigby became increasingly agitated and launched an attack on the soldier, who was thrown to the floor and kicked and stamped on.

He then began to strike him over the head with a chair. His sister was shouting at him to stop but Rignby did not even look at her.

She and a friend of her brother ran from the flat and as they left the door was locked. Fearing for the safety of Mr McLelland police were contacted.

Rigby began to strike his victim with a kitchen knife and scissors and told him: "Don't f--- with me. Do you know who I am? I will show you how Edinburgh boys do it." He poured boiling water over his victim who was screaming in pain.

At one stage he took his victim to the window and told him to stick his tongue out and opened the scissors He shouted to police: "Do you want to hear him squeal?"

The court heard that armed officers and dog handlers were deployed and attempts were made to negotiate with Rigby. He made demands for cigarettes but refused to allow his victim to leave the premises.

A decision was made to go into the flat and Rigby was restrained and carried to a police van.

Mr McLelland suffered fractures, cuts and burns to his back and left shoulder and had extensive treatment before being discharged from hospital on March 30.

Defence solicitor advocate Richard Soutar said Rigby had suffered childhood trauma following two bereavements of people close to him.

He said there were issues with anger management and emotional regulation and added: "He knows there are issues that require to be dealt with and has indicated a willingness to try and address them."

Mr Soutar said: "He is still a young man and there is a prospect he can turn things around."