logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo
star Bookmark: Tag Tag Tag Tag Tag
Great Britain

Violent thug jailed after fracturing woman’s neck in front of daughter

A VIOLENT man has been locked up after he fractured a woman’s neck in a violent assault – as her young daughter watched on.

Shane Rees Callison, 33, of Park Terrace, Winlaton, Gateshead, has been jailed for six years for assaulting the 27-year-old in two violent attacks.

Callison first attacked the young mum in March 2019, punching her repeatedly in the head, slapping her, pulling her hair, pushing her, spitting on her and stamping on her ribs.

After Callison left the woman’s address, his victim rang her mum, distressed and complaining of blurred vision. She initially told her mum, and later hospital staff, she had fallen down the stairs.

She was treated for a fractured vertebra in her neck, broken toe on her left foot, tenderness and bruising to the forehead and her left eye and bruising to her body.

The next day she confessed the true reasons behind her extensive injuries, confiding in her mother and police.

Only a few weeks later, manipulative Callison again attacked the woman in her own home.

Fearful she initially told police that the bruises had been caused when she was ‘jumped’ by a stranger.

She later confirmed it had again been Callison. He had beaten her so severely that two finger nails had been pulled out during the assault, and she suffered extensive facial swelling and bruising.

Callison was interviewed for both incidents and subsequently charged in May 2019. As a result of charge he was remanded in custody until the trial.

He was found guilty by a jury at Newcastle Crown Court in October of Section 20 assault, wounding/inflict grievous bodily harm, for the first attack and of Actual Bodily Harm for the second attack.

On December 13 Callison was sentenced to six years imprisonment and issued with a 13 year restraining order against his victim, the order will come into effect after he leaves prison.

The officer in charge of the case, Detective Constable Claire Kay, of Northumbria Police’s Safeguarding Department, has praised the victim for coming forward.

She said: “I am full of praise for the victim; the thought of coming forward terrified her, so much so she twice, out of fear of retribution and the risks around her children, tried to protect cruel Callison.

"Every single day we come into contact with victims who are too terrified to speak up or support any police prosecution. 
"I want them to know that we will do everything we can to take action against violent offenders and bring them to justice, we want victims to know that we are here for you and we can help.

"However, it is not just down to victims to bring an end to this type of offending. Everyone has a role to play whether it is talking about it among friends or supporting someone you know or think to be a victim.

"Any form of abuse is unacceptable and we will do everything we can to put perpetrators like this before the courts and get victims the support they need.

“In this case, the victim, with the support of her mother and external services, has bravely spoken out. She remained focussed throughout the case and the trial.

“I hope her attacker’s conviction will be a comfort to her and allow her the freedom to start living a life without fear.”

For further information and advice search Victims First Northumbria or Northumbria Police online.

Themes
ICO