Firefighters have urged householders to take extra care when using electrical devices after an overheating phone charger caused flames to rip through a family home.

Residents escaped unhurt when fire engulfed the kitchen and living room of the property and fire safety experts joined the call for care when using chargers and other electrical devices.

The blaze occurred at the home in Crescent Road, Rhyl, late on Wednesday night.

Fire Brigade
Fire Brigade

Community safety manager Kevin Jones told NorthWalesLive: “This incident highlights the dangers of electrical fires - they can strike anytime, anywhere.

“Phone chargers can get really hot - never leave items on charge or unattended for long periods and ensure the plug to the charger is switched off even if it’s not connected to your phone or electrical item.

“Never mix and match chargers or use after market chargers – always use the charger supplied.

“Always follow the manufacturers’ instructions and guidance when using electrical items and turn off and unplug them before you go to bed.

Read More

You might be interested in...

"Our advice is to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible."

There are some simple steps to help prevent an electrical fire in a home. They include:

Don't overload plug sockets

Regularly check for worn or frayed wires

Unplug appliances when not in use

Keep appliances clean and in good working order

Fully unwind extension cables prior to their use.

For more information or advice, click here .