Bathgate Thistle and Pumpherston put on a show that produced eight goals and left both managers frustrated at not picking up three points.

Thistle raced into a 2-0 lead within five minutes thanks to strikes from Grant Plenderleith and Chris Rooney before Pumphy pegged them back to draw the sides level with Jon Batt providing the goods.

Batt then secured his hat-trick to give Pumphy the lead for the first time in the game until Grant Forrester restored parity five minutes before half-time.

The action didn’t stop there as after the break Scott Richards scored a 30-yard screamer to put Bathgate back on top the away side ended the goal-fest with Scott McGregor’s ricocheted shot.

Both teams had to settle for a share of the spoils and even though it was a great game for the neutral, there was a sense from both managers that the contest was there to be won.

Bathgate head coach Stewart Devine said: “From our point of view, to be 2-0 up the way we were, we can’t concede goals the way we did . To score four goals at home and not come away with the win is disappointing.

“It’s a tough one to take and frustrating. On the positive side I thought Richards’ goal was taken very well and had a good connection.

“I fancy us here against anyone at home to be honest, and for the next game (against Livingston United) we know it’ll be a tough game but on our day, we can take on any side.”

Pumphy manager Martin echoed his counterpart’s sentiments, commenting: “It’s more disappointing to go away from home, score four goals and come away with only a point but you’ve got to praise the character of the boys to come back from such an early setback.

“At the end of the day, I think 4-4 was a fair result. To be honest both sides could easily have won the game.”

It was not the ideal start for the away side as just 30 seconds in a defensive mix-up saw Pumphy goalkeeper Jamie Bowman tackle Forrester which allowed Plenderleith to tap the loose ball into the empty net.

Bathgate extended their lead in the fifth minute after a well worked move saw the ball squared straight to the feet of Rooney who fired a low shot past Bowman to make the proceedings look ominous for Pumphy.

Creamery Park, Bathgate, West Lothian. Bathgate Thistle v Pumpherston Juniors Picture by staff photographer Stuart Vance.

But Martin’s men were able to rally back and showed great character by slashing Bathgate’s lead with a swift response.

First the speedy striker Batt reduced the arrears when he beat Sean Brown at his far post before he slammed home a penalty on 20 minutes for the equaliser.

The game went back and forth for much of the first half, and Pumphy got themselves in front when Batt beat the offside trap before rounding the keeper and slotting the ball into the net for his hat-trick.

Before the crowd could even catch their breath, Plenderleith once again caused bother in the Pumphy defence when he managed to catch a long ball before squaring to Forrester to grab a goal the leveller despite offside claims.

Three minutes after the break, the goal of the day was provided by Richards when he picked up the ball from 30 yards from goal and unleashed a rocket of a shot that smacked in off the post and left Bowman with no chance.

But Pumphy once again refused to give up and McGregor brought the sides level again after his effort bounced off the chest of keeper Sean Brown and into the back of the net for the game’s final goal as it ended honours even.

There was a dramatic ending at Beechwood Park as Stoneyburn netted late on before sub keeper Matty Craig saved a penalty to ensure they defeated Whitburn 3-2 in an East of Scotland Conference X fixture.

Euan Scott and Ryan Robertson netted for the hosts as they went into the break two goals to the good but Jamie Sandilands’ men responded in the second half.

Beechwood Park, Stoneyburn. Stoneyburn v Whitburn Juniors. Stoneyburn win 3-2 in a late goal and penalty save drama. Fulshie keeper Matty Craig saves a last second penalty Picture by staff photographer Stuart Vance.

Reece Duncan reduced the gap early on before Martin Macguire headed in the equaliser.

The visitors went all out for the winner but it was the Fulshie who would net the decisive goal when Scott fired home in the dying stages.

There was still time for drama as the visitors were awarded a penalty following a push in the back on Maguire but Craig - on for the injured Gavin McQuillan - was the home side’s hero as he saved Martin Russell’s spot-kick.

In the same division, Armadale Thistle were edged out 4-3 by Bo’ness Athletic with Colin Strickland netting a brace for the Jags. Chris Donnelly also got his name on the scoresheet but they were unable to keep out the dangerous Tiwi Daramola who netted a hat-trick and took his tally for the season to 28 in just 15 games.

West Calder United are West Lothian’s sole remaining side in the Scottish Junior Cup as Graham Baird netted the only goal of the game in their 1-0 away win at Blantryre Victoria. They face a trip north to Dyce in the third round.

Livingston United exited the competition following a 4-1 home loss to Cumbernauld United.

There was also a 4-1 home loss for Blackburn United at the hands of Crossgates Primrose in the East of Scotland Premier Division, while Broxburn Athletic were edged out 3-2 away to Sauchie.

Gary Brass and Ross Allum pulled the Brox back from two goals down but they conceded late on to suffer defeat.

Linlithgow Rose climbed up to fourth in the table as goals from Mark Stowe and Alan Sneddon saw them pick up a 2-0 away win at Whitehill Welfare.

Don't miss the latest news from the West Lothian Courier. Sign up to our free newsletter here'