Parents say they are deeply concerned about a skateboarding YouTube star amid claims he is encouraging young people to break lockdown rules.

Claudius Vertesi describes himself as a professional scooter rider on his channel, which has over 1.4million subscribers.

The 22-year-old from Germany, who appears to be living in Stockport, has been posting a series of videos on his YouTube and Instagram accounts.

Many of his videos feature a skate park in Alexandra Park in Edgeley, which councillors have confirmed was closed to the public at the start of lockdown.

Despite this, Mr Vertesi has been posting on his social media channels, encouraging local youngsters to join him for games and competitions at the skate park.

In one Instagram post on Thursday, the YouTuber posted a picture of himself and seven other teenage boys - none of whom are adhering to social distancing.

Children watched by their parents play on a skatepark which has been closed because of the coronavirus pandemic

"The taking away of constitutional rights is the biggest threat and the unnecessary brainwashing into fear and apathy which makes people sick and divides them. Exactly what they want."

Councillor for Edgeley and Cheadle Health, Sheila Bailey said she had been contacted by dozens of concerned parents, saying Mr Vertesi's actions were both "dangerous" and "irresponsible."

She confirmed that Mr Vertesi's social media posts had been reported to Greater Manchester Police, and senior council officials.

"Our skate park in Alexandra Park has been closed since the start of lockdown because it is too difficult to maintain social distancing," Cllr Bailey said.

Fencing and sign posts advising members of the public that the skate park is closed were put in place at the start of lockdown several weeks ago.

When the Manchester Evening News visited the park, a young child was seen using the skate park with his mother, despite clear signposting saying that it was closed.

"This Youtuber has come along and is encouraging young people to ignore the rules put in place," Cllr Bailey added.

"The information he is giving is dangerous and irresponsible and we are very concerned about it.

"In the North West we have one of the highest infection rates in the country and there are still over 1,000 cases of coronavirus in Stockport.

"People can't just do what they want, there are rules in place and they are for a very good reason.

"It is hard enough for parents with children who desperately want to go out and visit sports facilities and they will be able to if it is done in a sensible way."

A spokesperson for GMP said: "At around 7pm on Thursday 21 May 2020, police received reports of a breach of Covid-19 restrictions in Alexandra Park, Edgeley."

The Manchester Evening News have contacted Claudius Vertesi for comment.