Israel
This article was added by the user . TheWorldNews is not responsible for the content of the platform.

Palestinian man killed during clashes as IDF raids West Bank refugee camp

A young Palestinian man was killed and another was critically hurt by Israeli fire during a raid in a refugee camp near the West Bank city of Tulkarem on Tuesday morning, Palestinian health officials said.

The Palestinian Authority health ministry said 21-year-old Ayed Abu Harb was fatally shot in the head by Israeli troops in the Nur Shams refugee camp.

The official Palestinian news agency Wafa, citing the local Thabet Thabet Governmental Hospital, said another man was critically hurt during clashes in Nur Shams.

Footage published by Palestinian media outlets showed several IEDs exploding as Israeli military bulldozers made their way through the streets of Nur Shams.

The Israel Defense Forces has used heavily armored D9 bulldozers in West Bank operations to clear streets of hidden explosives, to enable troops to safely enter and carry out arrests.

Get The Times of Israel's Daily Edition by email and never miss our top stories

By signing up, you agree to the terms

A local wing of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad terror group said its gunmen opened fire at the Israeli forces and detonated explosive devices in the refugee camp.

عاجل| وزارة الصحة الفلسطينية تؤكد استشهاد الشاب عايد سميح خالد أبو حرب (21 عامًا) برصاص الاحتلال الحي في الرأس، في مخيم نور شمس بطولكرم. pic.twitter.com/A2iIh1rGdi

— وكالة شهاب للأنباء (@ShehabAgency) September 5, 2023

There was no immediate comment from the IDF on the raid.

The military last operated in Nur Shams in late July.

#شاهد لحظة استهداف جرافة عسكرية تابعة للاحتلال بعبوة ناسفة في مخيم نور شمس شرق طولكرم.

لمتابعة آخر الأخبار عبر قناة نيو برس على تيلجرام https://t.co/254A4McWau pic.twitter.com/QavbGU3bah

— Newpress | نيو برس (@NewpressPs) September 5, 2023

#شاهد لحظة استهداف جرافة عسكرية تابعة للاحتلال بعبوة ناسفة في مخيم نور شمس شرق طولكرم.

لمتابعة آخر الأخبار عبر قناة نيو برس على تيلجرام https://t.co/6BCL5wfFPS pic.twitter.com/74EKL1Nuny

— Newpress | نيو برس (@NewpressPs) September 5, 2023

Last week, rare clashes occurred between Palestinian gunmen and members of the PA security forces in Tulkarem, during which one person was killed.

Violence has surged across the West Bank over the past year and a half, with a rise in Palestinian shooting attacks against Israeli civilians and troops, near-nightly arrest raids by the military, and an uptick in revenge attacks by extremist Jewish settlers against Palestinians.

Palestinian attacks in Israel and the West Bank since the beginning of the year have left 27 civilians and three soldiers dead, and several others seriously wounded.

According to a tally by The Times of Israel, 179 West Bank Palestinians have been killed during the same period — the vast majority of them during clashes with security forces or while carrying out attacks, but some were uninvolved civilians and others were killed under unclear circumstances, including by armed Israeli settlers.