Israel
This article was added by the user . TheWorldNews is not responsible for the content of the platform.

Palestinian said killed amid armed clashes with IDF troops in West Bank refugee camp

Local wing of Islamic Jihad says members open fire at Israeli forces, set off explosives in Nur Shams, close to Tulkarem

Emanuel (Mannie) Fabian is The Times of Israel's military correspondent.

An 18-year-old Palestinian was shot dead by Israeli forces during an army raid in the Nur Shams refugee camp, adjacent to the West Bank city of Tulkarem on Friday morning, Palestinian media reported.

According to the official Palestinian Authority news agency, Wafa, 18-year-old Mahmoud Abu Sa’an was fatally shot in the head during violent confrontations in the camp.

A local wing of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad terror group said its members had opened fire on Israeli forces and detonated several explosive devices against army vehicles.

The so-called Tulkarem Battalion said it mourned the death of Abu Sa’an, calling him a “heroic martyr,” but did not say he was a member.

The Israel Defense Forces said in a statement that forces returned fire at Palestinian gunmen who opened fire and hurled explosives, and other rioters throwing stones.

Get The Times of Israel's Daily Edition by email and never miss our top stories

By signing up, you agree to the terms

The IDF carried out a large raid in Nur Shams last week, during which troops neutralized explosive devices planted along the roads, in order to enable future raids.

مساجد #طولكرم تنعى الشهيد محمود أبو سعن الذي ارتقى برصاص الاحتلال خلال الاشتباكات التي اندلعت عقب اقتحام مخيم نور شمس. pic.twitter.com/NDY2Z0WNoz

— وكالة سند للأنباء – Snd News Agency (@Snd_pal) August 4, 2023

Tensions have remained high in the West Bank, with the military carrying out near-nightly raids amid a series of deadly Palestinian terror attacks in Israel and the West Bank that have killed 25 people since the beginning of the year and left several more seriously hurt.

#شاهد مقاومون محمولون على الأكتاف بعد فشل جيش الاحتلال في اعتقال أو اغتيال مطاردين، خلال اقتحام مخيم طولكرم فجر اليوم.#جيش_فلسطين_الالكتروني pic.twitter.com/bIiRBUJHTZ

— حنظلة (@nl2320193854196) August 4, 2023

According to a tally by The Times of Israel, 163 West Bank Palestinians have been killed since the beginning of the year — most of them during clashes with security forces or while carrying out attacks, but some were uninvolved civilians and others were killed under unclear circumstances.