By Kimone Witter
The police have confirmed that no money was stolen during Thursday's attack on a courier vehicle in New Forrest, Manchester.
A security guard was shot in the head and remains in hospital.
It was reported that two guards from Atlas Security Company had just collected cash from a supermarket in New Forrest when gunmen opened fire on their vehicle about 6 p.m.
Senior Superintendent Stephanie Lindsay, head of the JCF's Corporate Communications Unit, said one of the guards returned fire on the attackers who then escaped.
She said the police are probing the possibility that the gunmen may have trailed the courier vehicle through Trelawny and St. Elizabeth before attacking the guards in Manchester.
Thursday's incident follows last month's multi-million dollar heist in which a team of Beryllium security guards was attacked and relieved of millions of dollars by armed robbers in Mandeville, Manchester.
Five pedestrians were shot and wounded when the gunmen fired indiscriminately in the town.
Senior Superintendent Stephanie Lindsay said it is clear from the continued attacks on courier vehicles that a ramping up of the security measures around the operation of these companies is necessary.
She said suggestions have been made to security companies to reduce the risks to their employees, adding that the police will "continue to work in partnership with the security industry because we do see the threat and we want to see how best we can prevent some of these things".
While the police continue to work alongside them, SSP Lindsay said security companies must re-examine their systems to ensure they are robost enough to withstand attacks.