This article was added by the user . TheWorldNews is not responsible for the content of the platform.

Fire guts part of Dyeratu market in Chikwawa

At least five shops and marketing sheds with various merchandise have been destroyed by fire which broke out at Dyeratu Market in Chikwawa district on Sunday afternoon.

According to Chairperson of the market committee, Henry Simola various merchandise have been burnt into ashes.
“About 50 businesses have been affected by this accident,” said Simola.

He added that people were trying to put off the fire which he believes started as a result of an electricity spark on one of the poles in the market.

“The fire caught one of the grass-thatched sheds which worsened the situation,” he added.

“The same electricity problem caused fire in the year 2017, so we urge Escom and Chikwawa District council to help in maintaining this point to avoid such accidents in the future,” he said.

Speaking on behalf of the council, Chikwawa District Council Public Relations Officer Leah Malimbasa said it is sad that the vendors have lost their livelihoods and they have to rebuild from scratch.

“However we are grateful to the vendors who extinguished the fire and Press cane Limited for assisting after they were notified by the council,” she said.


Subscribe to our Youtube Channel:

Robert Ngwira
Robert Ngwira

Attended Our Future Private Secondary School in Rumphi from 2006-2009 Holder of Diploma in Journalism from Malawi Institute of Journalism (MIJ) Hobbies, reading newspapers, going out with friends, listening to radio and watching football. Email: