Nigeria

Delta taskforce demolishes shanties in Warri

Delta taskforce demolishes shanties
Warri South chair, Dr Tidi, and Delta State Taskforce Chairman on Environment, Evangelist Sylvester Oromon addressing journalists during the demolition.

With a payloader, officials of Warri South Local Government Area Taskforce on Beautification and the Delta State Taskforce on Environment, on Monday, commenced the demolition of shanties and caravans illegally constructed along major roads and streets of Warri, in the local government area.

Those demolished included shanties and caravans erected along drains and directly under high tension cables in Edjeba Road, beside Delta Broadcasting Service (DBS), Warri, Chevron Club Road, opposite DBS, NPA Expressway by Edjeba, Ugbuwangue axis of the NPA Expressway, under Ogunu-Ugbuwangue Flyover, Odion Road by Mciver Market and Igbudu Market.

The demolition exercise, coordinated by the Warri South Local Government Area Taskforce Chairman on Beautification, Mr Kenneth George and the Delta State Taskforce Chairman on Environment, Evangelist Sylvester Oromoni, began at DBS end of Edjeba Road at exactly 9.00 am.

Chairman of Warri South Local Government Area, Dr Michael Tidi, who was also on the ground to supervise the exercise, assured that there would be strict monitoring to prevent re-erection of the shanties and caravans.

He said his administration has doubled its efforts to rid Warri of illegal structures, with a view to improving the aesthetics of the oil city and ultimately attract genuine local as well as external investors.

Dr Tidi stated that the demolition of illegal structures under the flyover connecting Ogunu and Ugbuwangue communities was done after a well-thought-out plan, so as to clear the place of criminal elements, who trade and consume illicit drugs under the flyover.

Chairman of the State Taskforce on Environment, Evangelist Sylvester Oromoni, dismissed the claim by some owners of the demolished structures that they were not given notice.

He said adequate prior information was given by both the State Taskforce on Environment and the Warri South Council Taskforce on Beautification before the exercise commenced.

Delta taskforce demolishes shantiesVice-Chairman of Warri South Council Taskforce on Beautification, Hon Mavis Onojeghwho, opined that owners of the demolished caravans and shanties, who claimed they were not informed, thought the prior notice would not be backed by action from the state and local governments.

While declaring that every illegal structure in Warri will be brought down for the benefit of everyone, Hon Onojeghwho, averred that there was no going back in the resolve to make Warri tidy.

The demolition exercise will continue Tuesday, April 13, with Okumagba Avenue as the take-off point.

It will be recalled that Warri South chair, Dr Tidi, during his build-up to his second tenure assured of his determination to rid the oil city of filth and illegal structures as his top priority.

YOU SHOULD NOT MISS THESE HEADLINES FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE

COVID-19: Nigeria Recorded 624 New Infections Last Week, Lowest In Over Five Months

Last week, Nigeria recorded 624 new COVID-19 infections which is the lowest the country recorded in five months, Tribune Online analysis shows.

The 624 new cases reported between March 28 and April 3 is a reduction from the 849 recorded the previous week…Delta taskforce demolishes shanties in Warri

Delta taskforce demolishes shanties in Warri

Football news:

President of Bavaria: There will be no expensive transfers. There is no need for them, we have an incredibly strong team
Statement from Real Madrid, Barca and Juve: We regret that the founding clubs of the Super League signed a commitment to UEFA yesterday. This is inconsistent
The amount of the Holand deal may reach 200 million euros. Real Madrid won't pay that much
Ronaldo lives for goals. Playing against him is fun. Milan defender Kier on Juve striker
Ter Stegen on the national team: I wish Neuer to play without injuries. I want to get a place in the squad, playing well for Barca
The president of UEFA will propose to exclude Real Madrid, Barca and Juve from European competitions for 2 years (Cope)
Thomas Tuchel: Maybe de Bruyne needed to leave Chelsea. Werner and Havertz will be able to show their best qualities here