Papua New Guinea
This article was added by the user . TheWorldNews is not responsible for the content of the platform.

Journo hit by stray bullet during shootout

Police in the National Capital District are investigating the shooting of a female reporter working with the National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC) Central during a confrontation allegedly between police and settlers at 8-mile in Port Moresby.

In the midst of the firing, allegedly aimed at each other, a stray bullet hit the reporter who was among 13 journalists working at the Moitaka plant.

The incident was condemned by the police with Assistant Commissioner of Police-NCD and Central Anthony Wagambie Jr saying, “I have directed Metsupt NCD to have police investigators look into this immediately.

We have to establish what happened and where the bullet came from.

If this was a stray bullet or intentionally fired. Everyone must respect the work of journalists and protect them as they are the voice of the people.”

The Media Council of Papua New Guinea in a statement, while commending PNG Power representatives who ensured that an ambulance was arranged to take the injured journalist to the hospital and who covered her treatment, reminded public and corporate organisations that when the media is invited to cover an event into potentially hostile environments, all necessary precautions must be made to ensure their safety.

The Council stands ready to work with the RPNGC and other law enforcement agencies to find ways that the media can be protected, rather than be caught in the crossfire.

This will take some time and work in sensitising both the public, and the media, on their equally important roles in the pursuit of truth, information, and awareness.

According to our reporters, the incident occurred when the group had ended their tour of the facility organised by PPL.

The purpose of the visit was to see the progress of the Moitaka Power station and the new Edevu Hydro power construction and transmission lines undertaken by the PNG Hydro Limited and PNG Power.

While the team was at the Moitaka Power station, a commotion erupted outside at the nearby residents where multiple gun shots were fired.

A stray bullet from the shootout outside grazed one of the cameraman and hit the female journalist on her left arm.

The stray bullet hit and lodged into her left arm causing her to bleed as she fell to the ground in shock.

The shootout went on for around 4-5 minutes with other journalists and PPL staff taking cover.

The Journalist was rushed to the Paradise Private Hospital for treatment.

Other reporters did not sustain any injuries, however, were in shock and traumatised.

The team was accompanied by the PNG Power CEO, Obed Batia, PNG Hydro Ltd Managing Director Allan Guo, PNG Power Chairman, McRonald Nale, and staff of the PNG Power.